Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Survival mode?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Aunt Betty, Jun 28, 2021.

1. There.is.no.ST

There.is.no.ST Senior Refuge Member

I prefer to butcher as much meat on my own as possible. I know how it's been treated from the kill until we cook it, and in the case of livestock, how it was raised prior to the kill.

Swift's meat packing plant is in Louisville and I've known folks who worked there. Hard folks who couldn't take a day on the killing floor - said the blood was measured in inches deep.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Have worked in usda and fda 'approved ' facilities.
    From my perspective it appears that once your new line or facility has been inspected it just gets re-signed every year renewing the permit or inspection certification. They only check if a serious complaint arises.

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

There's a big difference between a facility that's approved to handle private slaughter, and one that's approved to slaughter for resale. I can't remember the language user between the two. But the ones approved for resale are completely different than one that you just book and take your own meat to for slaughter.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

:D:D:grvn:eek:
    My wife told a nighbor lady( house was 1/4 mile away.
    I was getting some free pea foul.
    Ive never seen such a serious women in my life
    "Dennis Ill kill them all before their first sunrise"

I didnt get them,,,
    then another neighbor between us got a free wild donkey. :eek:

DirtyCuffs likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

I worked at a pork processing plant getting it up, approved, and running then I never looked back.
    I did bring home a lot of pork for cheap.

6. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Put myself thru college working 32 hours a week at meat packing plant. Worked in maintenance most of the time. Seen some rough stuff. Nothing like replacing hammers in bone mill. Married, college and work was too much, but I did it. Would not recommend that to anyone especially in engineering.

7. Aunt Betty

It stinks a little. The worst place I ever worked was campbells soup. It'd start out the day perfectly clean they steam clean everything at night. By quitting time it was the most disgusting place you can ever imagine I know there's worse but...erg. I can't eat campbells chicken soup

8. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Another job was rebuilding paddles in blood cooker. 6’ diameter x30’ long tank. Double jacketed to heat but would switch to cold water when we had to work on it. It was clean on interior once they washed it. Two of us kids would crawl in inspection hole and remove the paddles past them out. Someone carried to shop to build up. We stayed in tank most of day. By the time we had all paddles out we started reinstalling the rebuild tones. I could not start to get in inspection hole now.

9. Arkansas Fowler

Arkansas Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I got a quite a few chickens they spit eggs out daily year around it’s fun to raise them . Fixing to jump into buying and selling Goats soon .

10. DirtyCuffs

DirtyCuffs Refuge Member

There are a few months of the year that I often find myself wondering what peacock tastes like

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    oleww likes this.