Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Suzuki 30 vs e-tec 25 or 30

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Ky.trophy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ky.trophy

Ky.trophy New Member

Looking for opinions on new suzuki 30 4 stroke or e-tec 25 or 30?

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    To me it's a no-brainer , I would go with a Evinrude. No maintenance for three years, it's winterizes itself, better on fuel, Just as quiet, fewer moving parts. Also, no break-in period, Wide open throttle out of the box.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Ky.trophy likes this.
  3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Opinion ....... mine would be go with the Suzie. They make fine outboards. I had a 50 EFI Suzie on my big boat for 8 years until I upgraded to a 70 Yammie. I've had a couple small Suzies (8 and 5) over the years. They were all fine outboards. My hunting buddy has had a Suzie 50 on his duck boat for about 7 years and hasn't had one problem.

And it looks like the Suzie 30 weighs approx 10 pounds that the 30 E-tec. While I haven't owned an E-Tec (or similar Tohatsu TLDIs), my neighbor has one and has had issues. His 50 E-tec was noticably louder than my Suzie 50. 4-strokes nowadays have come a long way!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I've never owned or run an E-Tec, but the 2018 70 hp Suzuki I have is a nice runnin' engine. Don't have much run time on it yet so can't speak to longevity, however.

5. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have a 30HP 2017 suzuki,
    Very happy with it and very gas conserving motor. it is a little less than 100 hours on it now.
    on 16 miles trip (8 miles each way) with 3 little boys (210, 215 and 250LB) it consumes 1.5 gallons. My old 2 stroke Johnson 30HP ate at least 3.5 gallons for the same trip
    Also, suzuki, as per specs, is the latest technology on outboards.

6. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

My huntin pard has a 2015 30hp Etec......been trouble free and strong so far. We have abused the crap out of it in the river and backwaters.

P

7. Coastal ducker

Coastal ducker New Member

I have a 2015 Suzuki. I have put a lot of hours on it in the salt marshes and bays. Only issue, I had to replace the trim tile switch went bad.

8. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Whatever you choose (they're both fine motors), factor in how close and how good your local service is. I love susies, but in my area nearby parts and service are not available.

9. Ky.trophy

Ky.trophy New Member

What kind of performance compared to the Johnson 30?

10. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

I had a Suzuki 30 4 stroke and it was great. Had it on a 1751 Excel and would push it about 30 MPH with decoys and 1 other person. Strong little motor. I got mine from the Port-a-Boat website. They had them at the best price I found anywhere, shipped free, and came with prop, oil, fuel hose and tank. At the time Suzuki had a 3 year warranty and would add another 3 if you registered it with them. Give that website a look.