Swap a hunt? Chesapeake for South Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by quacknut, Oct 29, 2018.

1. quacknut

quacknut Senior Refuge Member

Anyone interested in swapping a hunt? Headed to south Florida around Christmas/New Years. Would love to get out for a south Florida duck hunt. Willing to trade someone a hunt on the Chesapeake Bay. I mainly hunt from layout boats killing divers, but have access to marsh hunts for black ducks, Canadian geese, or even sea ducks. January is our best time of the year. Anyone?

IMG_0285.JPG

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Sure....but what do you consider "south" Florida... I can hunt Lake O...or the STA's if you want to try that....

What ducks do you want to kill?....How far are you willing to drive? ...

3. quacknut

We have a place in Pompano, so that's where I will be in December. Willing to travel a couple hours if need be. We usually drive 1-3 hours depending on where birds are around here.

Not too picky on a certain species. I think you guys get a lot of ringnecks and teal? Killing ducks is definitely a bonus. But a hunt in a new area, and seeing how you kill ducks in warm weather is what really interests me. I'm sure it will be nothing like Maryland...

4. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Pm me your contact info....I almost always have room to take someone... Pompano is about an hour and 30 from me. If the lake is good...we can meet there and it is about 65 miles for me...but don't count on the lake being good.... Between blue-green algae and keeping the lake too high....the littoral zone is not in great shape.

And yes, we get a lot of Ringers....in fact...a bunch just showed up by me the last couple days....
    I prefer big puddle ducks ( pin's/widgeon Gaddys) if there are decent huntable numbers.

5. quacknut

Sounds great. Thanks for the info guys. Last year in December we had a big freeze. We almost needed to make it to the Florida border to find open water.