Syracuse and anti duck hunting !

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by wildpathfinder, Jan 19, 2014.

1. wildpathfinder

wildpathfinder Senior Refuge Member

Today in the Sundays paper we have another fight ahead over city limits. It looks like a few people that really don't care for duck hunting and hunters are going to make another attempt to ban hunting along Onondaga lake shoreline to extend out in the lake to the city limits . Anyone that can help needs to get a hold of the Central NY wildfowlers and help in the fight for our rights !

2. Band Buster

Band Buster Elite Refuge Member

NEW YORK is under full assault by the government! We are now the BIGGEST nanny state I know!:mad:

3. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2014/01/should_onondaga_lake_duck_hunt.html

"Tom Bell, a wildlife biologist at the state Department of Environmental Conservation's Cortland office, said such a hunting ban concerning bald eagles is unprecedented in the state on public waters during the winter months or outside of their spring breeding season.

He noted the hunters who frequent Onondaga Lake are allowed to be there and are doing nothing illegal. He added there have been no reports of bald eagles, which are a protected species, being shot or wounded."

"Craybas said after spotting the hunters near the discharge pipe he called the DEC and was told the hunters were within their rights to hunt there. Duck and goose hunting regulations differ from hunting other game in that one does not have to more than 500 feet away from a building to discharge a firearm. As long as they're shooting over open water, hunters can have a structure right at their back - or be in boat or canoe offshore."

Where exactly are we under full assault from the government? We're under full assault from anti-hunters and Joe Shmo resident, not the government.

4. woodieblaster

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2014/01/city_of_syracuse_planning_no_h.html

"Marion said city police would respond to complaints about hunters hunting ducks on the land -- but what about from boats?

"That's the DEC's responsibility to do something about it," Marion said.

DEC regional director Ken Lynch said DEC environmental conservation officers would continue to enforce the DEC's hunting regulations concerning waterfowl hunting on Onondaga Lake. His comments reflected no indication of any change of policy concerning the hunters on the southeast section of the lake.

DEC waterfowl hunting regulations allow hunters to hunt from shore from a body of water's "high water mark" to the water's edge as long as they're shooting over an open body of water."

5. Band Buster

Band Buster Elite Refuge Member

Really? Heard of the SAFE ACT? Common core in schools? mandated health care? Need more? Josh I worry about bigger things than the DEC. I am not anti DEC at all! Government intrusion is rampant! I think the antis are loons but guess who is running the government, the LOONS!

Also look at Assemblyman Sweeney. What is he? Government. He is the problem with the law change hold ups and mismanagement of 1c deer heard for years now. Right?

6. woodieblaster

I understand you're saying. I was just posting a little more information about the situation in Syracuse! I have no inside knowledge, just did a quick google search of the news stories out there.

Drive safe out there Dan!

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like DEC is on the hunters side on this one. :tu
    Do you guys have a waterfowl org for that lake?

8. SGK

SGK Refuge Member

The CNY wildfowlers are our local waterfowl org. How much pull they have with Onondaga decision making I do not know.
    Our local Syracuse newspaper and their "outdoor writer" have a decidedly liberal stance which makes it difficult to get the sportsmans views across.
    I do find it ironic that, when our "great" governor came to town recently to announce the building of a huge amphitheatre along the western shore of the lake, no mention was made about what the additional construction and traffic would do to the nesting eagles.

9. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

Having driven by the lake for many years an seeing the changing shoreline from having trees and bushes to being void of all such structure, to seeing the walking trail being put in and any and all habitat destroyed. When the eagles are gone who will be blamed? The birdwatchers who wanted access via a walking trail? The walkers who wanted to walk around the lake? Or will it be the person who bought a duck stamp to save habitat,a hunting license to protect open spaces, and went out to enjoy nature while pursuing game that we have done since the beginning of time. We all know that answer, it will be the hunter.

10. Bull Red Dog

Bull Red Dog Senior Refuge Member

Please move to NC or send your kids here when they are out of school and then visit them often!

Best decision I have ever made was moving from Buffalo to Raleigh in 1996, after I enlisted in the Army Reserve and went into a Fort Bragg Unit. We have since moved to the Wilmington/the coast and thank God for our move South every day.

In Wilmington we have lower taxes, more jobs, better weather, offshore fishing AND a dang hockey rink. We might have less ducks typically but you can still find the birds if you work hard; and our deer season lasts from 9/15 to Jan 1st.

I feel for you all, I really do; but its only going to get worse, not better in the Empire State I know and used to love.