Take a kid hunting

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by bulldogeverett, May 14, 2013.

1. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

You'll be rewarded in more ways than filling a bag limit or pulling the trigger. Took my oldest son whose 7 along on a turkey hunt last Thursday and Friday. Pulled him out of school to do it to avoid a conflict with Mother's Day weekend ;-)

Didn't kill a turkey or see one. Found plenty of mushrooms though.

But Grandpa and I must have made an impression because he had to write a report in school on Monday and he chose to write about our trip. How cool is this? Map and all!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368585104.166106.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368585115.331077.jpg

I get more joy out of sharing the outdoors with kids than I do just hunting. Take a kid hunting!

2. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

That's great... I had to talk to my boy about not talking about guns at school.. Don't want him getting in trouble...and I teach in the district he goes to school in....well a few days later my 4 yr old brings home a pic the he drew of me shooting a turkey luckily the preschool teacher isn't a crazy uptight anti hunter.....hahah...I agree take the kids hunting its a great time!

3. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

I take my 2 boys out of school AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR for a conservation field trip!!!! Oh and momma never says no, especially if she can go too!

4. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

I said it yesterday brother, but that sure made my day a lot better. Awesome stuff.

5. jthunts

jthunts Elite Refuge Member

You both get an A+ in my book. I have been taking my kids for years now and now it seems there friends want to go now. Good thing I just got a crew cab.

6. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

Yes taking my kids hunting is the best experiences I have ever had in the woods. I have shot 2 deer with a gun in the last 6 years because I make sure that my 2 boys and when he is in the mood my step son get atleast one before I even try.Honestly I actually get excited again about seeing a deer in the woods,that has been long gone for me.

The last 2 years my 2 oldest boys 12 and 14 have gone duck huntin nearly every time I have been. It dont set well with some of the guys I hunt with for the boys to either shoot first or us all taking turns but maybe one day they will understand.My 12 year old has even been on out od state hunting trips with me and the guys and does his share of the work( child labor is underated).

My youngest is 5 and his pre K teachers are very understanding to the fact that he draws pictures of shooting ducks,deer,trukeys ect. And sit and listen to him when he rambles on about what he shot on his hunting games.

At Christmas and birthdays my boys dont ask for the latest video game or such they cricle things in the Cabela's and Mack's catalog.The top item on my 12 year olds Christmas list last year was a Winglock goose call.

7. Uncle Kwacker

Uncle Kwacker Elite Refuge Member

just outside chicago there's a place called illino
    all i can say, is i wish i could do it over again , i sure gets lonely cause i got the time now and they dont:cry

8. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

Well the ulterior motive here is for the kids to sit in a hunting spot all night and me and my buddies get there 5 minutes before shooting time.

9. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

That's awesome :tu

Ah innocence, the good ol days :l

10. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Couple more +s

When they get a little older, they can start helpin with the decoys & work

When I get a little older, they can start haulin my fat butt around & doin all the work :tu

However, I will not take him out of school to hunt. Either hunt before, after, or on weekends & holidays. It is my thoughts, that he needs every minute of learnin available.