Reaction score
67308D09-55D7-46F0-B884-6058CCC0E4D2.jpeg
D2BAB6A1-6EB7-4286-9DED-0F741FEAFD16.jpeg
4B4AFD7B-E881-4822-87F6-8DEE5452495C.jpeg
8CCC1721-86FE-440D-89DB-CF5927F99B27.jpeg
326C7E22-DE8C-40F9-A83D-3BD842032FA7.jpeg

salthunter

Reaction score
Too young. On the coast here we have a lot of logging roads. I'd pack her in her car seat and go road hunt deer.
Once, I glassed a buck in the bottom of a clear cut. Killed it. Then it dawned on me. Now what?? I couldn't leave her in truck to get deer and I sure couldn't carry her down and bring a deer out. It was about 0830. Had to wait til mom got off work and went back and packed it out in the dark.
To the OP's question. Don't do this: Daughter was drawn for a youth duck hunt in SC. Weather was awful. Horizontal rain. They drop you off and you Have the option to be picked up at 0900 or 1100.
She wanted to go home at 0900. Birds just started flying. I made her stay til 1100. She still cusses me for that.
View attachment 342175
Blacktail ,,, I wasnt the perfect parent,,, but Im on your daughters side "She still cusses me for that"
That was your hunt , not her hunt

There were plenty of 30" muledeer, hundreds of ducks geese fox and coyotes that live to old age or taken by someone else because it was time to go home for us.

In the long run it would be worth it.

I have pics of my youngest cradling that days goldeneyes at, or the doe depredation hunts , my wife dissecting ( she was in medical) depredation doe hunts in perfect, 75 degree hunting weather for grade schoolers . Pictures of me and 3 grade school girls putting the sneak on antelope. ( and still killed my antelope)

Im going to jump back to Porkchops picture,,, a truck load of kids,,, huh,, no dead deer! not pile of ducks! or even a flea bitten coyote!,, just a pile of kids with big toothy grins ( Doug Miller)

And in the long run who knows: My one daughter does dog care, My other daughter loves having pups,, another sent pictures of her a few hundred feet up a cliff, and while Im away in Minnesota Our daughters have been at the house with my wife nearly every night,,,, not something most 30's do ,,,

Some of our greatest hunts were in Utah swan hunting. Basically a 1.5 mile hike in then out basking oin the suns warmth. Three years my wife was skunked on her draw. Ever see three grade schoolers walking out with a swan?,,,,I have pic daughter with her first geese. Another daughter a P and Y lower-48 Shiras moose, bloody elk arrows. Piles of geese that were the envy of all the guys in Jr. high and HS. Most our our goose hunts we had one or two or three limits, and I never shouldered the gun.

This year each archery elk hunt was still for my daughter. She can and does out hunt most guys her age and loves it. Other daughter just like to know they have been part of something most people and hunters never experience and they did it with their mom and dad.

Kids don't need to shoot to "hunt"

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Brought my son to the pit blind on the Eastern Shore (Maryland). Just me and him. Not much action, but he thought it was so cool being at eye level with the decoys and underground in an “Army” bunker. He was eventually getting bored, so I gave him some sticks and my knife to do some whittling. He was thrilled. Still no birds.Wood chips everywhere. Bored again. I brought out my surprise pellet pistol and let him shoot at decoys with only one pump of the gun. Didnt hurt or tip over the decoy but made it wobble a little when hit. What a thrill. “ I got another one, Dad! “
Later on, mid day I let him drive the truck with me in it, slow on the farm roads. He was beaming. Told his mother first thing when we went into the house and his friends first thing whan he went to school that Monday morning. “I drove my Dad’s truck….on the Farm…..in 4 wheel drive!!!!”

IV Hunt

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
^^^^ That's a whole bunch of cute there!

ragin-cajun

Reaction score
awesome. ear plugs for when they shoot. never when its cold or rainy til they get older. took my son several x. he never took to hunting but loved the action of airboat hog hunting

Latest posts