Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Target bird 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by WYtransplant, Jun 4, 2020.

1. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Elite Refuge Member

Every year for last 7 years I have picked a target bird for the year. Sometimes one I have never shot before (Harlie, Red head, and Brant) and sometimes one I want next for the wall, Hooded Merg etc. I then do research on that bird from feeding habits, and breading grounds, migration etc.
    The last 5 years I have started making a dozen decoys to go after the target bird.
    This year Barrows GE is my bird. I have killed a few over the years but ready to get a prime one for the wall. Finished up a dozen decoys and ready to go. Starting on the research now.
    Great way to spend the off season blues. What is your target bird for next year 20200520_204205.jpg 20200520_204234.jpg

2. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Still looking for that first Speck. Would love to get a chance at one. As usual WYt, those are some sweet looking decoys! :tu

3. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Beautiful decoys.

WYtransplant likes this.
  4. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Them are some beautiful decoys.

Fwiw, I've found that using smaller-sized GE decoys will finish the birds better than the oversized ones.

Gonna see if I can get some Sea Ducks this year. I'd also like to get a glorious spoony in prime plumage.

5. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Those blocks will hunt! Jealous for sure. Seeing those makes me realize I need better tools and a lot better skills. :)

My hope Every season is to get a couple new species in the dogs mouth. At 5 she is way ahead of any other dog I’ve had but still a few to go. No honest/realistic way to get all North American game birds but the goal is to take advantage of the opportunities we do have. Headed to Montana in late Oct for Sharpies to check that one off. For the Pac flyway Ducks she still needs a Canvasback, Harli, OldSquaw, Cinn Teal, ruddy, greater Scaup, RB Merg & Black scoter. Not sure I’ll shoot a swan or another crane again and For geese we’ve been very fortunate. With the exception of a Vancouver and Dusky she has had all the possible geese in her mouth but I would love a picture of her swimming through some eel grass with a greybelly in her mouth. Not sure I’ll be able to check the list off but it sure will be fun trying.

Cheers, Adam

6. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I’d also like to get a Ruddy Duck. Never bagged one before. :tu
    49E3252F-9CD5-48E9-B622-A81F724B629C.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Over The Decoys likes this.
  7. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

They are the easiest and least fun I have ever shot. They swim in to your spread and sit there why you shoot other ducks haha. So if you need one bad let me know.

I say canvasback every year but never make it happen. This year my bigger goals are not duck specific but more about memories. My wife just passed hunter Ed and I want to get her on a hunt. I also want to get my 5 year old out once to see what I do and lastly I have two neighbors in the Air Force who have never shot a goose and I want to put them on one good field hunt. If I can do that it would be a great year!

Beautiful decoys!!

8. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

I always say speck for my target bird but a lot of bird hunting is on hold this year till I fill my Idaho moose tag. That is my main target to start.

it might be cliche but I want a mature banded green head for the wall. I said I would mount the next banded drake and they might of been a jinx for me since it’s been awhile now.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I need a bluewing and a snow.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Nice work! :tu

Homer decoys painted using the Steven Sanford tutorial?