Targeting salt marsh puddlers

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Blk_dog21, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

I’m curious to get other waterfowlers input on targeting puddle ducks while hunting tidal creeks and ponds. This will be my 3rd season public land hunting,We usually shoot black ducks and gadwall. Especially black ducks during a falling tide or on a mud flat. I do some scouting. But where I hunt there is a lot of hunting pressure and ducks are so spread out (especially the past 2 years) that’s it’s hard to find a mass of birds in one spot. Sometimes I’ll look for wigeon grass in ponds but that’s hit or miss. I try to hunt at least once a week and one full day of scouting. Any advice or tactics I’m missing? Open to any ideas. Hopefully I can run into some pins or wigeon I absolutely love grass ducks.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

We shoot puddlers on the lower bay western shore strictly salt marsh. We don't scout for ducks but set up in blinds on proven fly paths. Takes patience to hunt salt marshes. Just have to wait them out. Down here, they (calendar ducks) pass through early on in October and November heading South. When the weather forces them down later in the season they still do not hang around for long. It might be different up in MD as there are quite a few impoundments that hold birds. Could be more grass up.there as well with more fresh water. We lost alot of our grasses
    years ago with hurricanes. They are much.more readily to decoy early in the year as the season goes on, all ducks get skittish. We use mostly goose decoys with just a few duck decoys in the pocket where we want to center the ducks. Alot of drawing power with dozens of goose floaters out. Practice with a whistle for the pintails and baldcrowns(wigeon),also mixing a light hen mallard call on the corners when they circle, pins love to circle a spread before committing. Both ducks when decked out in full plumage are absolutely beautiful, great on the table. Good Luck!

Blk_dog21 likes this.
  3. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

I can say most of the ducks I kill are definitely mid November, especially wigeon gaddys and teal. I agree that a lot of ducks in our flyway are Calendar ducks. December is usually dead besides local black ducks. January can be good but only if we get fronts. A wigeon/drake mallard Whistle never leave my Lanyard.

4. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you got it.

If you don't like what you're killing and don't see what you want to kill, hunt some where else.

Scotty likes this.