Teal 2022

Drakes Landing

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Teal, here one day and gone the next. It can be very erratic for sure. Just try to get out when you can and may be rewarded. A few years ago went out the last weekend of early Teal. Arrived before Sunset Saturday evening and was hot and humid. Literally did not see 1 bird in the air when we scouted. We almost didn’t go Sunday morning but decided we were there and what the heck. It was still very warm but had decent wind. Literally had flocks of hundreds buzzing around us before shooting time and then continued after the opening bell. We were shot out in literally 20 min. Wished we had been a little more selective and had taken turns but we decided to getem while the gettin was good. We hung out and did some work on our blinds until about 10am and birds continued to consistently hit our pool. Who knows what caused this overnight blessing but we did enjoy it! Full Moon, Wind, Did they just sit the night before, Photo period…….still scratching our head about that one but won’t soon forget it!!!!

Texcl2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Up here in ND I’m seeing lots of nesting pairs in our freshly replenished marshes. The first state duck count was the second highest in history, so looking good even though that last blizzard in the end of April took out some nests, mainly goose nests.

Drakes Landing

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the greenwing and bluewing teal counts in ND were both down from 2021. Mallards and Pintails way up. Seems odd that Teal would not have experienced same success but maybe that April blast impacted them as well? Any insights from our friends to the North?

Texcl2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m seeing more teal breeding pairs than I have ever seen in the north central/NE part of the state so not sure. I think most teal breed up in Canada honestly but might just be my area. All I know is the first 2 weeks of season up here we are chock full of teal that weren’t there before. Last year looked like very few we’re gonna come through but when I showed up the first day of resident season there were swarms of them, more than I had seen in a while. Good thing too because we love bbq’ing teal!

Latest posts