Decoy Forum Sponsors

Teal decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by CJ MN Waterfowl, Jul 13, 2021.

1. DanL

DanL Senior Refuge Member

Like they said, you don’t NEED teal decoys, but you want them. Plus side: a dozen or so teal decoys add very little load to your walk in and out. Put them in 3-4” of water and hide yourself. GHG decoys look good, but I’ve had problems with the duck decoy paint wearing off. Goose decoys not so much.

2. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

I really like my avian-x teal decoys. I’ve got green and blue wing.

They're light to pack, durable and look like teal.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Learn the difference between teal and the other small birds. I mistakenly shot some sawbills during teal season. They decoyed it was dark and I messed up. They don't taste very good

4. wingsandwater

wingsandwater Senior Refuge Member

My favorite is a big rig of goose floaters. Teal as with most ducks eat em up.

No doubt they decoy to anything but the vast majority of the time I set multiple species in the mid-season they do dump into the teal decoys not the blacks or mallards. I bought a dozen GHG last year to up my teal spread. They don't move in current like the old GHG. If I was to buy again I'd go avian x.

5. cl bob

cl bob Refuge Member

Teal will come by no matter what, however where I hunt in the Suisun Marsh having some green, cinnamon and blue wing deeks out there helps to get them to drop in.. Tanglefree has the cinnamons from time to time..hard to find those.. cinnamons will sling by anywhere from 32-59mph..

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Why would you go to the trouble of putting out a big spread of goose floaters to shoot teal if they will decoy to anything (and they pretty much do) ??
    I know you must have a good reason, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it would be.

Throw out half a dozen BW hen teal decoys.

7. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

This with brown hen teal decoys. Where I hunt we cant shoot till sunrise. Teal are famous for coming in before sunrise and leaving before sunrise. They sure are fun to hunt and good to eat. They usually pluck real easy in September season. We sometimes pluck a bunch and throw 10 at a time in the turkey fryer for 10 minutes. Early season geese are good in the deep fryer also, but lots of work to pluck.

8. Bluesclues

Bluesclues Refuge Member

I won't speak for wingsandwater but, this applies to me as well. When I am hunting ducks on water, it will almost always be from a boat. To me there really isn't any logistical difference between putting a pile of duck decoys or a pile of Canada goose decoys in the boat, both being Texas rigged. So pretty much a minimal difference in deploying or retrieving either decoy.

I tend to use a decent Canada spread in all of my waterfowl pursuits because where I hunt, almost all waterfowl decoy to a Canada spread. There are obviously some exceptions to this but not often.

Billy Bob and AppalachianHollers like this.
  9. wingsandwater

wingsandwater Senior Refuge Member

A couple of reasons and likely somewhat unique to my area. First is visibility, some of the areas I hunt are larger water. Very tough to see a teal rig. Second, competition on public land. I want to look different than the other spreads on the marsh and it works. Third, resident goose is open during our early teal season and a goose spread is more natural to be on the marsh. Lastly, I run goose floaters all year so it's no big deal. Teal are just as valuable as big ducks, I'm in the Atlantic flyway. Lol

And my view on a large goose spread is probably different that those to the west of me. I'm talking 2 -2.5 dozen goose floaters.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yep, visibility is king on bigger water and it helps to be seen before other spreads. Something I've noticed over the years, the first spread birds see has the best chance even if they are not in the best location. I've been on both sides of this.