Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Teal Season

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Bill Sikkenga, Aug 31, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I was messing with you on the doctor deal, but give me your son's number. I scheduled my wedding around dove season and told her if we didn't marry in August we'd have to wait until June.

ibfowl likes this.
  2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I was starting to like you til the spend the night in the marsh part.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

:l Both my kids were supposed to be married last year but COVID changed all their plans and it ended up being better anyway with my situation. He did plan it so it wasn’t on the opener in the Sandhills where we normally hunt so there’s that. I planned my wedding around opening day of pheasant and opening day of deer season before I started duck hunting many moons ago.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

there will be guys camped out at the marshes here the day before opening day of teal and regular season. 2 years ago, my son scouted a few places the afternoon before opening day and there was nobody around. We went back about 9pm and ended up at plan B cause plan A already had multiple trucks waiting.

Backwards bleed and widgeon like this.
  5. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I refuse to hunt those places. One wood duck or teal in a secluded spot is better than limit with 25 boats around and spending the night in the truck. I will be hunting with a limited party on private land on opener.

6. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

If I have to spend the night out in the marsh to secure a spot for the next day, I will quit duck.hunting. The heck with that mess.

dwr353, tripper, brentbullets and 6 others like this.
  7. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

@negooseman. I've planned alot of my life around hunting seasons, sometimes not for the best .
    Family is what it's about. After what you've dealt with , just enjoy it all .

brentbullets and Out of focus like this.
  8. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

We don't open until Sept. 10th but I just spent 3 hours cleaning the duck boat, changing oil, checking lights, freshening gas. Took it to the river, backed it in and cranked her up. She's ready. I'm ready.

I used to couldn't sleep before opening day. I sleep good now but wake up quick. I am just as excited as I used to be. Teal season has gotten to be my favorite time of the year. Teal in the morning, sitting for a deer in the evening. Wow, just wow.

WHUP ! Hen, Out of focus and widgeon like this.
  9. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I use to be excited all night for opening day,in fact every day since we hunted just about every day of the season. But as the years went by, I have lost the drive that was there. Plus with the numbers of birds no where near what it use to be, I'm more picky now,if it's pouring down raining forget it. Not going. Really thick.fog forget it. Busting ice and tearing up the rig,forget it. I can hunt five days out of a week, but need a couple days to reset. Then ready for the next week. I just don't hate the ducks like I use to.

2WIDGN, WHUP ! Hen and Out of focus like this.
  10. Westmichwtrdog

Westmichwtrdog Senior Refuge Member

Same here. Headed out in the morning to our favorite spot. I can’t wait to see the sunrise on the marsh. Steve

duckbuster2 likes this.