Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Teal Season

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Bill Sikkenga, Aug 31, 2021.

1. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

Holy cow. Between the HIGH BALL calling and the guys gun in view and his head moving all over looking like w/o cover its no wonder those birds kept circling

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Damn! @Rubberhead came out swinging this morning. Congrats!

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Psst...the aggressive calling just might have been what helped pull those birds off their preferred broken marsh routes and to that little pothole in floating marsh prairie - and kept them from leaving for said broken marsh, while "the guy," aka: yours truly, stood with camera and call in front of them, God, his Holy Cow and anybody or thing else that might have been around.

But you probably know a lot more about it than I do...

(He responded with a grin,)

bill cooksey likes this.
  4. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, teal are really smart. :l :l :l

blacktail and creedsduckman like this.
  5. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

Nah, I'm not that smart. The real question is....did you ever shoot them?

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Date: 9/22 Tue

Time: morning

Cloud Cover: heavy w/spitty rain off and on

Wind Direction and Velocity: easterly brisk

Temperature: still comfortable

Moon phase: 37% waxing

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Much like yesterday early on: fewer big ducks and more teal than our norm. But precious little was moving as we made the run out.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Much the same as it's been, as long as I stayed on them.

Hunters: My party was another no show, so just the bug and I.

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): Easiest morning of his season.

Special Equipment: SOS

Curses: Being by myself, I was determined to only shoot at buzzing singles that weren't slowing and go six for six, which went well as could be - for the first three. Then missed one smooth clean three times and Forrest Gumped the next, "in the buttocks," and took two more shots to finish it. Dropped the next with a single shot, but it was head-lolling and got a finisher. Last bird only took a single shot, but still left me needing a dozen shots to kill a half dozen birds.

Kudos: Had the opportunity - and presence of mind - to video the not-so-mysterious "Momma" call some have asked about.

Birds By Species: 6 bw teal (3 drakes and 3 hens - turns out I'm still a lady killer)

Photo Ops: I'll never make it as a left-handed caller much less videographer, but here's an idea of the aggression often needed to pull teal from they're more natural flyways - and keep them from returning to them. As well the momma call that usually keeps them lined up on the hole, even after being spooked by the standing man trying to film them.
    [youtube]y3uHhDbyRsI[/youtube]

Out of focus likes this.
  7. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

Went out this morning to paddle(Kayak 21 teal decoys) out in time to open geese and mourning doves. Saw teal but WI opens at sunrise, they were done flying by opening. Did get a goose about at 10 am. Saw more teal after that but was a runway or two off. By 11 was sick of the gnats. Great morning to be out.

Grif likes this.
  8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Pretty sure that's an old picture, doubt SC teal season came in today.

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure they were plenty killable several times.

10. whistlerwhopper

whistlerwhopper Senior Refuge Member

I'll be 60 this month. Still get excited about openers, and have never missed one. I sleep a little better than I used to on "duck eve". When I was younger, every year prior to the opener, I would have a nightmare where I had slept in on opening day. Always a relief to wake up from that one ! haven't had that nightmare for a few years now. Might be related to age or far fewer ducks around than years ago.