Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Teal?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Deadrise, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

Heard of a small push of blue wings yesterday. Even if I don’t get to shoot them it’s still pretty amazing they are migrating through.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Looking at the moon this evening I figured it would be soon. Guess I need to start taking a shotgun fishing with me.

3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

We had a nice little knot of teal fly over the other day west of 95.

images.jpg

Valleyhonker likes this.
  4. Deadrise

Now I know why the folks west of I-95 were ticked when they didn't have a September teal season.

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Have seen one bluewing,a hen shoveler and a hen pintail so far. Historically most bw move through the last week of August. The only thing with the teal is that they can come and go with the drop of a hat. They are highly un predictable and we have had as many as sixty bw sitting in the goose decoys two days before teal.season and then hunt every day of teal season and never see a single bird. Usually we are covered up with pintails and shovelers in teal season. Make you sick!

6. Deadrise

I don't disagree LR. They are really not very predictable during our season. Still enjoy chasing them and have had some great September teal hunts but they are few and far between. Like always, I'm sure this year will be better!

7. Chesapeakefreak

Chesapeakefreak Senior Refuge Member

Actually, I saw a handful of bluewings last week in SE Virginia. Maybe 8-10 in a bunch.

8. Little Ruddy

Hey, one thing is certain...You can't shoot teal if your not out in the marsh so we all will be out there as much as we can. Interestingly enough, when we do see a flock they will most often come to the decoys especially goose decoys with reckless abandonment and after shooting into the flock,we get back on the teal whistle along with short fast quacks and have had good success turning the survivors around and getting a second crack at them. Only downfall is that the drake bw are not in full plumage yet. What a Beautiful bird!

9. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

should be some birds moving down this weekend. NW wind would be better but something will be moving on this front. I have heard a few reports of a few birds around. Gonna flood a small spot and see if i can get a few teal to come say hi

10. Little Ruddy

Been seeing bw and shovelers in my pond last couple of weeks. A Few pintail and a hen ring neck.
    TYpical,right on schedule.