Tell me the good and the bad about these pics

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Hawk, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I just got a DSLR camera. I don't know much so I'm looking for things I can do better. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism as I am a coach and a teacher and I know the only way you get better is to listen to those who know more. Pictures were shot with a Sony Alpha 300.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ol' yeller

ol' yeller Elite Refuge Member

Before I say anything about the photos I would like to say that I am no expert and am still fairly new to all this. Especially considering some of the others that post on here.

In the first it looks like you shot with such a shallow DOF that the dog's nose is in perfect focus, but his eyes are just a little bit out of focus. I ran into this when I bought my 50mm f1.8 and tried to get some shots of my lab at f1.8.

In the second my only gripe is the grass in front of the dog's face.

The angle of the sun in the third is a little off putting long shadows down the side of the muzzle and the back of the neck.

It seems to me that it's easier to critique other people's photos than it is your own.

3. Wack

Wack Elite Refuge Member

Little bit washed out from harsh light. Just bump up the contrast and bit and add a little saturation. :tu

4. NR

NR Elite Refuge Member

Well, it's winter and your choco lab looks a little shaggy - maybe try combing him out a little?! haha, just kidding.

5. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

sorry, no CC here. they look pretty good to me. how do you like your alpha?

that chessi is a TANK!

6. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys, any input good or bad is much appreciated. I want to learn this stuff. I'm planning on taking a class or two this summer.

My chessie is broad at the chest with a trademark block head, that's for sure. :D

I'm enjoying my Alpha, but I don't have anything else to compare to. I've never had my own camera and have decided to jump right into the deep end. Best Buy had a sale and the Alpha rated well on all the forums and sites I visited. I do know I like it a lot better on sunny days than cloudy days. I know my lenses are just budget lenses, and sometimes I'm disappointed when I zoom on on a pic in my computer program to see some graininess, but I really don't know what I am looking for and how much you should be able to zoom in before you see graininess. I'm keeping my head above water, but one of these days I have to learn to swim.:l

Your guys's tips and feedback on this part of the fuge are awesome. I've yet to see someone treated wrong or harsh!:bow