Tell us about your favorite sporting goods / hardware store from back in day.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Used to ride our bikes to downtown Springfield, IL. Our shotguns or rifles just stuffed in our paper bags. We left our bikes w/guns on the sidewalk. Mr. Hoops, the owner of Sportsman's Center, always greeted us with, "What are you hoodlums up to, today?" We'd buy ammo to shoot rats at the dump or go on some kind of hunting adventure. We were 10-11. His parting words were always, "Be careful. I you do something stupid with that ammo and get me in trouble, I'll beat your azzes. We KNEW that if anything should happen, our parents would let him...AFTER they were done with us.

2. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Tidelands Sporting Goods gone
    Shore Sportsman still here !
    Albright's still going strong
    Great Gunsmith
    Tommy's gone
    Winks still here.
    Tuckahoe Sporting goods still here!

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Two. The Sportsman's Shop in what is now called the Carytown section of Richmond, VA. They had EVERYTHING jammed into that store. They outfitted high school sports teams, sold hunting and fishing stuff including firearms, retail sporting goods, you name it. They finally went out of business in the 80s.
    Second is Greentop Sporting Goods, Hanover, Virginia. Started in a gas station selling guns, ammo, fishing stuff, etc. right after WWII. They are still going strong in a humongous location 1/2 mile from where it all started.

4. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Anglers when I was a kid
    Bert Carl's place when I was old enough to drive
    Once I moved to the ES of MD it was
    Fur Fins and Feathers
    or
    Guns and Goodies for tax free big purchases

MarshmanDon likes this.
  5. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

If can only pick one it would be Grant Yates
    He taught us what trust meant when we
    Got to take those calls out back plus a
    Couple of olt 800s over there fro:flamem the
    Hey Day you wouldn't believe me if l told
    You how many were killed over them:flame
    The Golden egg was starting to crack.

6. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

Way back in the day, it was Bering Hardware in Houston...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then later Western Auto stores had everything from fishing equipment to outboard motors and hunting equipment from guns to ammo.

My favorite back in the day was Grant Ilseng Sporting Goods. It was hidden in a warehouse area of Houston where you had to know about the place because it wasn't on any road that you would normally be driving on.

Mort, riverrat47, Squaller and 4 others like this.
  7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Vonnies was special, places like that just don't exist anymore.

There are two that stick out in my head. One was in East Stroudsburg PA, Only went there once or twice, but it seemed huge and it is where I picked out my first shotgun https://dunkelbergers.com/our-history.

Then there was shop walking distance to my grandmother's in upstate NY. It was a deer, turkey and trout shop and would be wall-to-wall the weekend before deer season. The owner was a fantastic gunsmith (worked on the gun bought above). http://del-sports.com/

Greentop is fantastic, imagine Cabelas or Bass Pro without the crap, junk and gimmicks of fish tanks and mounts.

I still purposely buy stuff at Anglers, even if I can find it cheaper online.

SUPPORT LOCAL

MarshmanDon likes this.
  8. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

The Herters factory and store in Beaver Dam, WI. That place was the coolest place on the planet if you were a duck hunter! Coast to Coast stores throughout WI. The Holiday Gas Station on Center Ave. in Janesville, WI.

Huntges11 likes this.
  9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

In the middle 90's I lived down the road from the Herters store and decoy factory in Beaver Dam, WI. They had a discount bin in the back where you could buy foam decoy bodies and heads. I literally had pallets full of decoy bodies and boxes of heads. Big ducks, little ducks, and geese. I sold everything and wish I had it all back. 20200127_200803.jpg

10. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

I thought I had hit the jackpot in 2002 whenever I saw a commercial on tv for Mack’s. I was new to duck hunting and hadn’t ever heard of them before. I called the 1800 number and requested a catalog to be sent to me through the mail. You couldn’t pry that sucker from my hands. As far as a store is concerned, I’d say Dunn’s sporting goods in St. Charles Missouri. They had a couple old coots that worked their waterfowl counter that were always a good laugh. Loved listening to their stories and looking at their photo albums from hunts through the years. Also really enjoyed their late summer waterfowl day sales. That’s where I saw Tim and Hunter Grounds blow in a goose calling competition for the first time. Bass pro opened, and then cabelas shortly after. That Dunn’s store is a Harley dealership now. Sad to drive by on the interstate and look over there at the old store now. Guess I’ve still got the memories of going there with my dad, brothers and best buddy from high school.

riverrat47 and MarshmanDon like this.