Tell us about your favorite sporting goods / hardware store from back in day.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Back in the 60's in San Mateo there was a great sporting goods store named Ellingston's. The whole place was full of fish and wildlife mounts, grizzly, brown and polar bears, bighorn sheep, marlin, etc. The owner passed away and it closed. The other place was in San Carlos, I believe it is still there, it's called Imbert and Smithers, they were primarily a gun store, but did have a lot of fishing gear.

boodog likes this.
  2. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

The Dufflebag Army Surplus in Tacoma was an awesome place when I was a kid. The B and I Circus store in Tacoma. You could by shells, decoys that leaked, get glass cut, and watch Ivan the Gorilla play with himself all in an hour.

3. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Amen to shopping local there were 4 hardware stores within 30 minutes of where l live only l Left Walmart Came that
    Was it you can t find crap in that store
    Montauker Tuckahoe Sportsman on 404
    Nice little store Hunting Fishing needs some business never know you might
    Run into me . Molly's still ok. Never bring
    Vonnies or the Hey Day back !

4. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I was mesmerized by the calls in the jewelry cases that rotated when you pushed the button

MarshmanDon likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Anglers in Md. Bought my first goose call there. Old. Don't hunt Md at all any more but if I ever go over that there bridge, I'll definitely stop in a look around and buy something just because. I remember Vonnies, that too was a great place. Now for me, in Va, it's Greentop. Big store, little store personal and great service.

6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

They are both still there.
    Richwood General Store, Richwood MN. Sporting goods, gas (that old pump STILL works), it’s the town post office, movie rental, liquor store, and for a while one of the clerks was a notary.
    4A8C8F9D-62FA-45E0-A7E9-AA60358B2A22.jpeg
    many old mounts of local critters like this bufflehead (and you can see the old tin ceiling) and a fisher cat.
    CD409DF0-3FA8-4152-AC37-323E6362DEFA.jpeg 4E0B08E9-AB7D-42D2-A042-EDCBA343D839.jpeg

Other is Nadings Sport and Service strawberry point, IA. Truly a one stop shop. Bait and tackle, guns and ammo, a subway restaurant, and a full service auto garage all in one stop. Truly one of a kind.
    D6DDE4FB-1C92-4C0B-ADF8-4DEFD803F0D5.jpeg
    hard to tell from the pic I snagged off google earth (cuz of course these kinds of places don’t have web sites) but that’s all connected. You can go get your oil changed, pick out a revolver, get a scope mounted, buy a fishing license, and order a meatball sub all at once. This place is awesome.

THEIRCOMMITED10 and MarshmanDon like this.
  7. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Those are some neat looking stores
    We had a couple in houses those were
    The good days for the Eastern Shore
    Of Maryland.

Thanks MarshmanDon

8. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

The old Western Auto had it all and we used to have a store downtown called War Surplus. Hunters heaven in their time.

9. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

I have the same 1966 Edition Herter's catalog-- in a bit rougher condition. The prices of firearms in there makes me sick today...

noweil likes this.
  10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had 4 great ones in my Memory.

#1 - Raymer Durnells Military Surplus in Cabool MO. Almost a perfect match to the Surplus Store that Patrick F McManus wrote about.
    #2- Fishmans Sporting Goods in downtown Springfield IL. You could find one box of anything there, anything. Need a box of 28 gauge Buckshot, or 14 gauge duck loads, somewhere they had it.
    #3- The original Cabelas in Sydney NE back in the late 70s and early 80s. Stopped in on our way to Grand Teton NP and thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was a non descript 4 or 5 story brick building and each floor had a theme (hunting, fishing, camping, etc...)
    #4 - Uncle Lees in Greenville KY. First visit was with Pentail, and it was in the waning years but still had all the eclectic charm and mishmash. Need waders, an ice cream cone, and some lace doilys - they had it all