Tell us about your favorite sporting goods / hardware store from back in day.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Stark's is still there.

2. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Tuckahoe Sportsman close to home
    How the heck to l get Pops picture
    Off of every avatar there is.
    Also still can t get a picture
    Not my cup of tea Please explain slowly.

MarshmanDon thanks

3. sbezoey

sbezoey Senior Refuge Member

Fetla’s Trading Post in Valparaiso, Indiana. It was just a great store.

4. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Hookah ice bong nice I like that see good stuff at gun house store place.

5. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

Here in Bloomington, Indiana we had Schmaltz Sporting Goods. Roy Schmaltz was a big game hunter and his exotic trophy-heads adorned the walls of the store which had 3 levels.

"Roy was one of the Midwest’s outstanding sportsmen, and he adorned the walls of his new store with many of his hunting and fishing trophies.
    Although the original store consisted of a relatively small space, the business had expanded three times by 1948 on the occasion of its 22nd anniversary and was selling goods from five distinct departments: men and boys’ wear; shoes; domestics; ready-to-wear and sporting goods. It was the first store east of the Mississippi Rover to sell Levi jeans.

[​IMG]
    Among the most memorable of Roy’s trophies was a 9’4” Kodiak bear from Alaska, the undisputed king of North American game. After being mounted it was delivered to the Bloomington store where it was discovered that he was too large to go through the door. Many hours later, thanks to the efforts of a carpenter, the bear finally reached a respected place of honor. In 1988 when the store closed, the 1,200 pound bear was donated to the Monroe County History Center where it is on permanent display."-- Monroe County History Center.

The first floor was all clothing, socks, shoes, boots and leather goods. Flannel shirts and Levi Jeans abounded.
    I recall the big Kodiak bear standing next to the staircase that led to the second floor which was the gun counter. Anything related to firearms was on the second floor. Reloading supplies and gun cases, duck calls, steel traps and clay pigeons. Guy and Dennis were the 2 fellows working behind the counter-- I never could work a gun-trade with those two. I saw my first Remington 32 Over/Under in there and even got to throw it to my shoulder, but I couldn't afford such a gun even back then.
    I remember that old staircase would creak with each step. In the corner of the short staircase to the 3rd floor was a square piece of tin with bullet-holes to outline the silhouette of an Indian Chief with head-dress. I believe it was the work of Herb Parsons-- Winchester's famed exhibition shooter of the Post-WW2 era.
    The top floor held all the fishing/camping gear... with a glass-topped counter holding all the pocket knives. Case brand being well represented. In the very back of the 3rd level was Roy Schmaltz Trophy room-- a small area with a fancy chair if I recall, some photos of him with his trophies lit with small spotlights.
    The store and Roy, his son Jimmy who ran it after his death... they're all gone. Special memories for sure.
    --Tim

THEIRCOMMITED10 and MarshmanDon like this.
  6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

JT, do you remember a Sporting Store in Indy called Emroe’s?

7. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

Amen.

8. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

OneShot--
    Yes, I do remember hearing of Emroe's, but I don't remember ever being in that store.
    I do remember visiting the original Galyan's Trading Post in Plainfield, Indiana. More than a few times. I traded for a tasty new Benelli M1 Super90 up there years ago. And a Columbia Wigeon-- the original article in WW2 brown camo. LOL. I still have it too... but it's been retired for some time now.
    Galyan's had a terrific gun counter, hunting dept and a showroom with fishing and speed-boats, trolling and out-board motors. Stacks of canoes, Jon-boats outside and little two-man 'Bass-Buggies' or some such. We drove up there before fishing season to see what new top-water lures or Bluegill poppers they had... that we couldn't live without.
    For some reason the trip I remember most is going up there with my Grandfather to buy an extra barrel for his Browning A-5 Light Twelve. His vision was already fading, so I drove us up there that day. He found a perfect vent-rib barrel--fixed choke--made in Belgium. Might have cost $100 but I can't recall exactly. Gosh, I still miss Grampa.
    And Galyan's Trading Post. D!ck's finally bought them out, and it was the end of an era. I'll spend my dollars anywhere but D!ck's.

9. Westmichwtrdog

Westmichwtrdog Senior Refuge Member

Epps sporting goods in the Detroit area. 1969 at age 8 I went to deer camp in the UP with my dad and his friend. I still remember getting outfitted with boots and such for the trip. Steve

10. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Classic !!

MarshmanDon likes this.