Tell us about your favorite sporting goods / hardware store from back in day.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

There's little family to it. A couple of the Hopkins nephews are still there but the store has gone to the big time. Cecil Hopkins would hardly recognize the place and he'd never imagine some of the things they stock now. I've gone in there on a regular basis since about '92; a lot of the help has been there nearly that long. I would barely consider buying a gun anyplace else nearby and wouldn't try to work a trade anywhere else close by period.

2. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Ah, Guns and Goodies, (aka Guns and Getback and Guns and Robbers due to how proud they were of their merchandise). I still spent plenty there. Also remember almost all of the others you and others mentioned.

Where I grew up in Southern VA, there were few places to choose from. Bassett Hardware (could get you ALL grades of guns) and Bryant’s Sporting Goods in Martinsville. Could buy shells and some guns at most of the general merchandise stores, like K-mart, Roses, etc. The area was definitely not a well know waterfowl destination!

MarshmanDon likes this.