Decoy Forum Sponsors

Texas rigs

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Bux&dux, Oct 5, 2014.

1. millertime

millertime New Member

I hunt in Michigan. our season ends December 30 - January 1. last year I wore a left glove for a total of 4 hours one day. year before, left glove 3 hours one day, 2 hours another day because wind chills were below 15. don't even know where my matching right gloves are. my rigging system avoids all water on hands

come hunt with me in December. I will prove it

ps - I don't wear socks in my waders either. they just cut off circulation and make your feet cold. tho I have started wearing the thinest of socks only to slide waders on and off easier, as my bare feet (for 45 years) were sticking, and I have less flexibility in my 70s.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm in my seventies as well, millertime. Expect a PM this December about that hunt. :tu I'll bring my own gloves.

3. millertime

millertime New Member

tule
    congrats being 70s - we made it! (and experienced the best years)
    would love to host you in December, you can stay at my place
    we can share experiences over beers
    and you can wear gloves, most of my partners do
    but I will show you how your hands won't get wet

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

More than one way to "Texas rig," but the first way I saw had a fixed egg weight on the bottom end of a line that was run through the decoy's keel hole and looped on the top end. Difference from your loop being passing the line through those
    loops once before crimping to help keep them more open for fingers or carabiners:
    upload_2021-7-23_4-44-18.jpeg

I found Texas rigging more bane than boon, in my circumstance, from a storage and transportation standpoint, but did like that 400lb test mono was less likely to catch on a dog and did end up incorporating that in a rigging more readily bagged:
    upload_2021-7-23_4-52-45.jpeg

Your use of short strap weights made me think you might want to try running your line through their middle, rather than end, to maximize hold.

5. Tuleman

Excellent idea, Mr. Hall. :tu

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've found many many decoys.
    Rigged all sorts of ways. Mostly just knots and weights crudely Texas rigged.
    I did crimps once and very quickly figured out some things
    The crimps catch on things easily where a knot doesn't. I tried the crimps and in mesh bags don't work for me. It dont matter much how they're rigged as long as you like it. Got tired of winding and switched to slotted bags. I love them. No more winding cords

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

This is one of the most useful tips I've seen for Texas rigs.

oleww likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I do something like Rick. Run the line through the keel, fixed weight on one side secured with a simple single overhand knot tie on the end of the line. The weight isn't fixed but it doesn't move in handling unless you more it intentionally. Depth adjuster on the other side and a loop on the end of the line using a simple knot. No crimps to fail where they pinch the line, no hardware needed for repairs. I can pick them up like normal texas rigs or I can snug the weight up to the keel if I want to bulk bag them.

9. Tuleman

I've never been able to get Texas rigging work for me. Don't know how some of you guys do it.

10. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    This is rigged with trimmer string, all are now replaced with #400 mono. When I rerigged with the mono, I replaced all the mushrooms with home made weights, 4oz. for ducks, 6 oz. for geese. The new weights were made in a mini muffin tin. I hammer a nail set through the weight and tie a single turn knot while applying a little heat to the knot as I pull it tight under the weight. The crimps are 1/4" long pieces of 1/4" copper tubing, cut with a tubing cutter. The tubing cutter leaves the tubing a bit narrower than 1/4", and I have to squish the tubing just a bit to get the line through, then crimp twice from opposite sides with dull side cutters. I've never lost a weight or had an "uncrimp".
    Mine are all rigged between 4.5' and 6' +/- : They're varied so that they make a narrower bunch and are easier to get into a bag for storage.
    When I pick up, my hands don't get wet. Lift by the head, clip onto the carabiner, walk on, repeat. Then drag them to shore, lift so all the dekes are at the weights, grab all the lines in left hand, twist a loop, then pull a loop through, repeat, clip the carabiner to the first, lowest loop, set them in the boat.
    Eventually, I cut a keyhole shaped slot in the keel between the body and the keel. When I want I can snap the line though the keyhole at the rear of the deke If I want them tail into the wind.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    dog duck gun likes this.