Decoy Forum Sponsors

Texas rigs

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Bux&dux, Oct 5, 2014.

1. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

To above ^^^^^. You can buy a pack of 50 copper crimp sleeves at Lowes. 3//8" long 13/64ths i. d. works great with 400 lb mono. Might save some time over cutting with a tubing cutter

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If it's so damn cold that I'm too big a **ssy to pick em up I use the push pole to get them onto the deck. It's not rocket science

3. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

On the other hand, I had 6' of copper tubing left over from hooking up a swamp cooler. I re-rigged 4-5 dozen decoys with that and didn't have to go to Lowes. Same with the lead for the weights; I had a bunch of scrap lead in the garage didn't have go go buy some, tho I did eventually pick some up while I was at the recycling center. I can't claim I rerigged for free- I still have a couple of hundred yards of #400 mono in a box in the garage.
    The cold hasn't really been a problem. Just about the time I got a good set of 5mm neoprenes, I switched to gore tex and extra layers. Mostly, our winters haven't been as cold. The problem with wet hands is dry cracked skin later on. Makes tying flies really hard.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

Hey, I'm with you on this. Understand using what you have. I've been making my own weights for many years. Also have the same issues with dry cracked skin. Dont mistake my post for AB.