TFWC meeting

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Small,

If you read the bill as written again, I believe it only refers to blinds that the state does not currently control on Reelfoot, AKA Registered Blinds.

Only when the currently registered (Grandfathered/Private) blinds are realized back to public domain do they go into an auction pool.

I can see some of the blinds being leased by a guide in name only, to subvert the intent of the legislation which is to guarantee steady tourism dollars to the area and it's residents.

I can also see where any new "Change of Guard" in these better locations may end up a "Weenie Roast".

Also, I can see some blind not receiving bids or possibly being removed to enhance other blinds opportunities and increase overall hunter satisfaction.

With all that said I can also see this bill never leaving committee!

Will

I tend to agree on all points.

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You may be right but it still is a cluster f—k. I agree that it would be hard to get this pasted. I don’t think they will ever auction these blinds but I could be wrong. If they did the good blinds would never be in the hands of regular hunters. Only time will tell.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was that the only available blind to hunt In the area?
Not the point. I don't hunt blinds with little or no chance to get a duck. Waste of time. When the Commission ruled the best blinds can't be hopped, destroyed any real opportunity to hunt.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Why is a tier 2 different?

A tier 2 is like a private spot? What if a tier 1 card holder wanted to rest their blind for a few days?

You know there are tier 1 blinds with corn right?
OMG! Still with this bizarre concept you can "rest" a blind in a public WMA? Please hunt some of these WMA's to understand the folly of the idea of resting a blind on a public WMA. Ducks will leave at the first outboard to roar by, ATV to go down the levee, guy wading into another blind, nearby blind moving decoys, or any blind within a half mile pulling the trigger, etc. If by some miracle the ducks do hit that rested blind and stay there, unless I can hunt it, that would effectively stop all hunting in the vicinity - as ducks to tend to go to live ducks. If this works, nearby blinds would be reduced to bird watching stations - until somebody went and ran the ducks off, violating the concept of the "rested" blind. If you want land you can rest, buy some.

smashdn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am hoping you realize why those question marks are at the end of those sentences.

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Reelfoot is already in the process of taking the private blinds, and making them public. Has been since the 80s. With the old heads dying out, the blind burning has been minimal. Usually the only ones, that I know of that have gotten burnt, were trouble makers.

Last one I know of was a "guide" that leased a blind, that hasn't been hunted in years. He would shoot at ducks 100yds all day long, and screwed up 20 blinds around him. Couldn't work a duck at all because of him. Plus, he moved his decoys in a marked boat road, that I ran for years during low water.

He basically moved in, and acted like he owned the whole place, and everybody that had been hunting there their whole life, had to accept it. I told my buddy "if that blind makes the whole season, I'll be surprised". Sure enough it didn't make it to Christmas. Trouble makers get their just deserves on Reelfoot.
Not just Reelfoot.
There is another WMA that has private blinds.
( used to be more incidents in years past).
But I think only 2 in the last 5 years.—- several vehicles were severely vandalized at the ramp a couple years ago.

Wanderer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not just Reelfoot.
There is another WMA that has private blinds.
( used to be more incidents in years past).
But I think only 2 in the last 5 years.—- several vehicles were severely vandalized at the ramp a couple years ago.
Hole you think those were hunting incident related?

Too much stuff stolen in my experience to have been a "Beef".

I can still remember pulling into Kirby's Pocket launch area and seeing a truck with four flat tires in the bed, both trailer tires down, and the only remaining one on the vehicle still up was a street tire out of a $5 bin at Reynolds Bros!

Again nothing stolen, vandalized to the point of body work, or safety related IE lights, windsheilds, etc.

Will

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hole you think those were hunting incident related?

Too much stuff stolen in my experience to have been a "Beef".

I can still remember pulling into Kirby's Pocket launch area and seeing a truck with four flat tires in the bed, both trailer tires down, and the only remaining one on the vehicle still up was a street tire out of a $5 bin at Reynolds Bros!

Again nothing stolen, vandalized to the point of body work, or safety related IE lights, windsheilds, etc.

Will
I can not speak of the vandalization first hand ( I did not hunt that day)
However, I was told the same thing by several locals, the area mgr, and a S.O.
Tires slashed, all windows busted, some body damage (believed to be from a hammer, or crowbar).

-The rumor……… ( how true it is???)….. some locals were late getting to their blind(past legal shooting time) and found it occupied.
the occupants said they weren’t leaving. Pissing match ensued.
unpleasantries were exchanged.
Late comers left.
when occupants, got back to boat ramp…… they found the above.

As for the blind burning, a friend of a friend, had his blind burned the day/night before opening day.
No proof, but suspicion based on a previous conversation

There was a decent reward offered, but to my knowledge, no one has been held accountable.

I have a blind to call home.
If you beat me to our blind, and we get there before legal shooting time.
We will probably ask if you want to stay and hunt.
We have even left because the hoppers had more folks and gear than I and my partner had. So we found an empty blind (usually someone we knew that wasn’t hunting that day).

We also prefer to hunt during the week, to avoid the chaos of the weekend. And it is amazing how many motors you hear fire up and leave at 0730/0800 so they can make it to work by 9.

Last edited:

Latest posts