That tragedy of Chincoteague this winter ?

LEWDOG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm asking about the 4 young men that was lost in a 16' boat . I never heard if the 2 were found or why they were out on the water that day ? When I heard of it on the news I was thinking they must have been duck hunting . Chincoteague sure has taken a many man during the winters .

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive but iirc 2 stayed with the boat and were found alive. The other 2 tried to swim and one turned back around for the boat, his body was found. The last I heard the 4th had not been found. I know a guy that is a retired VB fireman that spent the first 2 days up there searching for them.

Yes they were duck hunting. All between 17-19 i believe. Sad deal.

Plane crash in Carteret Co NC also claimed 8 people coming back from a youth day hunting trip to Hyde Co. Four were the youth hunters all 15-16.

kahunna

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
creedsduckman - FYI, preliminary National Transportation Safety Board report (standard info details) on that tragic Carteret County youth hunters plane crash was out ten days ago on broncolirio channel on youtube.com (or just google broncolirio channel). Comments on the report's info suggest possible error with control switches for icing? Understand there was the pilot and a student pilot in the cockpit. Again, tragic crash.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
creedsduckman - FYI, preliminary National Transportation Safety Board report (standard info details) on that tragic Carteret County youth hunters plane crash was out ten days ago on broncolirio channel on youtube.com (or just google broncolirio channel). Comments on the report's info suggest possible error with control switches for icing? Understand there was the pilot and a student pilot in the cockpit. Again, tragic crash.
I'll check that out. I assumed there was a pilot (obviously) and thought one was a copilot possibility, iirc one man had the same last name as the pilot. As I understand it the other 2 adults were an engaged couple without youth being her sin and the other 3 youths his friends. We had a small decoy show here Saturday and there was a raffle with all the proceeds going to them.

LEWDOG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive but iirc 2 stayed with the boat and were found alive. The other 2 tried to swim and one turned back around for the boat, his body was found. The last I heard the 4th had not been found. I know a guy that is a retired VB fireman that spent the first 2 days up there searching for them.

Yes they were duck hunting. All between 17-19 i believe. Sad deal.

Plane crash in Carteret Co NC also claimed 8 people coming back from a youth day hunting trip to Hyde Co. Four were the youth hunters all 15-16.
Thank for this information.

RedDog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Info above was correct. 4th boy from the CI accident was never found.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Info above was correct. 4th boy from the CI accident was never found.
I've always said if anything ever happened to me duck hunting and it was apparent I didn't survive don't even look for me just consider it a burial at sea if you will. I died doing what I love. I've got no wife or kids but I'm sure it would be hard on the rest of my family and I doubt they'd let that happen. Families need that closure. Both of those incidents were terrible tragedies and I can't imagine what the families have gone through.

Tomstoswans486

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was a heart-breaking year. I was in CI the week after the boys went down, was supposed to hunt with Andy Linton that next Friday and he sunk his boat (2nd boat) of the year and was out of commission and shared the news with me. I talked to locals while eating at Don's and some blamed the coast guard, lack of response time, but nonetheless - we as hunters need to know our limits. A bufflehead aint worth it.

Also, I live in NC and hunt Carteret county a lot as well. A very good friend was the aunt of one of the boys who was lost in the plane flight. That rocked the community, and absolutely tragic story. It was amazing to see the love and support (camo day across the Nation - we even did it in our office of financial nerds), lottery's for guided fishing trips by dozens of guides, just general donations from people all over, an anonymous donor to pay for funeral expenses. In hard times, you see the good in folks - and if anything can be taken from that it showed mankind still has some love left...and maybe we aren't doomed yet.