Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

That was dumb,... on the hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Aug 4, 2020.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im not sure what it was but something reminded me of a goose hunt 15 - 16 yrs back.
    Over 2000 geese had been piling in the field like clockwork for days. The geese had been trickling in starting after 9:00 then pouring in shortly after 10 AM. The last day of the season was tomorrow and nobody had hunted or jumped the geese.
    Originally 4 of us were going to hunt together. But only the one guy was able to take the day from work.
    Well, the two of us started setting decoys shortly after 6:00 am in the cold still air. By 8:30 AM it had warmed to -2 degrees, and we had put out over 250 full-bodies.
    We messed with the decoys until we heard the first goose in the distance. I grabbed my call , my buddy loaded his gun. I called and he killed the goose. we took turns and limited in minutes.

The dumb thing:
    We had a good hide in the deep snow. And placed a ludicrous number of decoys on an x field.
    At that time both of us had back problems It took us nearly 4 hours to pick up the decoys and we both paid the price for weeks.

2. Mike0311

Mike0311 Senior Refuge Member

Been there before, hauled 8 dozen duck decoys in 2 miles to hunt the only open hole on a frozen river that I had scouted the day before and was packed with birds. I limited out in about 10 minutes. Totally was not thinking on that hunt.

3. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

As I was reading I was gonna ask why so many decoys if they were dialed in to that field?

Ruination, salthunter and nobands like this.
  4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Generally speaking the hunts that are physically tough are still worth it, however there have been a few hunts that I've slogged a long ways into some public and got back to the truck after hunting and thought to myself that that probably wasn't worth the effort I put into it.

Athos, salthunter and stevena198301 like this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve had those tenfold, over the other way around.

Ruination and Athos like this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I wish I could wait until after 6am to start setting dekes, geez

if you ain’t launching the boat before 3am, you late

Athos, Aliv9 and stevena198301 like this.
  7. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Dumbest thing i ever did was tell the guys the were set up wrong on feild of mallards they scouted .
    Weird little hilltop feild, wrong wind for how they were going to come from , sun, etc etc .
    Convinced them to turn about 45 degrees. Bird's worked it good, but were dead set on that little 1 acre spot. Flock after flock .
    Still say I was right , but the ducks didn't agree.
    Now when we hunt together I just do what they tell me .

8. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

If I'm on the X, I only haul what will fit in a backpack. I learned your hard lesson for myself. There's a member here @jpac that had a marathon hunt with me. It's amazing how much two limits of mallards weighs after a mile.

9. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Thats cause you aint got no fields to hunt down there.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We were so into put out way more decoys than we ever needed.
    I dont mind a 1 or two or three dozen set if I don have other groups too near,

Use to sleep on fields and in the boat to make sure we had the "spot"
    Years back Minnesota opener was at noon. We were in the boat at the location the night before . But young and anxious it was "worth it"

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    stevena198301 likes this.