Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

That was dumb,... on the hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Aug 4, 2020.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

thats true

nobands likes this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

After a poor hunt, we always ask each other "Why did we put out so many decoys?"

3. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Field hunting can make you kinda lazy , if you know no one else can take it from you.
    But ive done the all nighters for ducks on public.

waterswatter likes this.
  4. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

Dumbest thing I did was to convince my 13 yo son to accompany me on a canoe hunt up a tidal gut to a hidden tidal pond I found on a map. The three of us, dog included, set the decoys and after just a little while I noticed the tide rushing out of the pond. I yelled to pick up the decoys but the mud was too soft for me. Luckily he was just a skinny kid and grabbed all of them. We were racing the tide out by putting one foot in the canoe and the other pushing like a scooter and barely made it out. Otherwise it would have been a six hour wait.

dog duck gun and nobands like this.
  5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I guess I'm lucky. Between my farmer friends, most who don't duck hunt and a few who do, we pretty much can be pretty lazy when it comes to getting out to undisturbed spots.

jjgoose and nobands like this.
  6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I bet sacalait would save you a spot on pee paws crawdad hole and you wouldn’t have to show up til noon. Probably not shoot a thing, but you wouldn’t have to show up til noon.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

After reading in Field and Stream about floating rivers to shoot ducks and we saw ducks when out fishing, BIL, his buddy and I(was 16 at time) decided to float the river to shoot ducks. We had 14' foot aluminum boat as 3 of us going, so no canoe. Had talked about launching for 6 mile float, figured go up one more town about 12 mile float, get twice as many ducks. This is late 70s, so no cell phone. We push off at first light but water in river has dropped a lot, so almost no current. We shot some ducks but the 5 hp motor didn't or wouldn't start so at barely any forward movement, sunset came and still at the destination. We had been rowing but figured as motor would run, only packed two canoe oars. We finally got to dock about 7:15 pm, BIL hiked over to get the truck and called the house (pay phone days). Dad was none to happy and I think he had been talking with his buddies at the Sheriffs department. Let's say, never got permission for another float hunt. It was hey dummy, didn't you notice river not moving and when you got to the first spot to pickup after 1 pm, you should have called it and had dad come up and pick us up.

nobands likes this.
  8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

At this point almost every plan for ducks I come up with seems like a stupid idea. Sometimes it works out n we get some shooting in an it’s like we’re super heroes. When it don’t I went into it knowing it was probably a waste of time so it doesn’t bother me much. But that’s what it’s come to here in md mostly. Atleast we got the griddle so best case we get z sweet sunrise n breakfast. Feel like you gotta be a little dumb n crazy to duck hunt anyhow. Ice freezing temps wind all at 3 o’clock in the morning seems pretty stupid to basically everyone but a duck hunter.

Ruination likes this.
  9. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

Don’t know about Alabama, but around the northwest you can almost set your watch by Canadian geese. They will come in and go back out at almost the same time every day for a week or more, pretty much until they’re shot off or migrate of their own accord. And, such gentlemen they are, the geese are always mid-morning birds where I hunt :yes But then here in big game country o don’t have as much competition either!

10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Overloaded a canoe with 3 guys, 2 dogs and decoys on a flat calm morning to get to an island in a lake that had every goose on the planet loafing on it the day before.

part 1 of the plan worked, we got limits of geese and ducks and some other odds and ends.

part 2 was getting back - we didn’t notice the wind had picked up ALOT and once we slipped out the lee of the island we had whitecaps. Rowed for the closest shore then offloaded me and dogs and all I could carry. I walked the mile to truck, they paddled hugging every bit of shoreline and shallows they could find. I made it to the truck before them. We all decided we dodged death that day and no number of birds were worth doing that again