The 10 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jimbo41, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 Refuge Member

Looking for information.
    I’ve used a Beretta Xtreme Unico for several years now and could not be happier.
    My duck/goose hunting is on the TN River, area lakes and fields
    I am thinking about buying a Browning Gold 10 gauge.
    Why? I’ve always wanted to try one.

My question is this for those who Actually own a 10 gauge.
    To get the full benefit of the 10 gauge, do you have to reload?
    I have heard that factory 10ga is extremely watered down.

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

To get the full benefits of any gauge with steel, hand loaded fodder gets you to a level above. Not sure where you hunt on the Tennessee River but the mighty ten will give you the maximum lethality of any gauge available and maximize the opportunities that can be few and far between. Having cut my duck hunting teeth on Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler & Guntersville from 1967-1994 I know how sparse things can be. Federal red box & Remington Nitro in #2’s and Federal HW in #6 tungsten blend will take care of anything that crosses by your blind with the tungsten effective to even the adjacent zip code.

3. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I’ve been shooting Winchester 1 5/8 oz BB (and 1s when they still made them) out of a Gold 10 with Patternmaster for almost two decades and have no complaints. I dabbled in reloading for the 10 years ago but stopped after seeing no significant increase in performance. Those Winchester loads are definitely not watered down from my experience.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Problem is every year there are less and less factory 10 gauge offerings, compared to 12 gauge ammo there's very little to choose from in 10 gauge. You can get by as JP said with a lot of what is offered, but if you want to bring out the full potential of the 10 reloading is the best way to go.
    As for watered down, most factory 1 1/2 oz 10 gauge offerings are running at around 1450 fps, if you reload you can bring those 1 1/2 oz loads up to around 1575 fps and still be within safe pressure limits. With 1 3/8 oz 10 gauge loads you can run them as high as 1675 fps within safe pressure limits you can't find that with factory ammo.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    NW BIRDHUNTER likes this.
  5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

*See, 10 Gauge Reloading Manual

6. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. I do want a 10gauge....just because.
    It does look like reloading is the way to go.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Initial outlay to reload today is high, you can very easily have $500 in a press , equipment and components to load your own for the 10. I think it's worth it some may not all depends on personnel choice, you can load your own for around half the cost of factory ammo once you get some once fired hulls. Performance wise there is no comparison, when ducks get stale some days the Gold 10 is the only gun I will use, not considered a duck gun but loading your own it turns into one very easily.

8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

For decoying ducks and geese I prefer a 12ga but for geese and ducks where it’s more of a pass shoot or edge off the decoys the 10ga is best.

I’ve been shooting a 10ga since the 80’s. Never shot any custom reloads.

Remington 1 3/4 oz BBs at 1275fps pattern very well out of my gun with a full choke.

I’ve shot everything from snipe to swans with these factory steel BBs. Plus I dropped stone dead a running coyote at 45 yards with them.

For decoying ducks I use Federal 1 1/2 oz steel 2s and Federal 1 5/8 oz steel BBs. BBs are better but the 2s don’t put Big holes in the heads of my Herters decoys.

The 10ga really shines on windy days where the shots are long. Personally I won’t hesitate on geese out to 100 yards with factory steel ammo.

Remington Hypersonic's in steel BBs or BBBs aren’t custom but are good 1500fps loads. Can’t complain about them.

8E8C99F9-01A0-4D3C-ABCC-0C4929415EBB.jpeg

The farthest goose of these three was shot dead with about a 25 foot lead. It was so high, the chest cavity exploded upon impact with the frozen ground. It also bounced a good fifteen feet.

D3AFFAD9-D0CC-470F-AE6F-6E5443D801EB.jpeg

I do realize one can get a nice custom load in steel 3’s to pattern extremely well at 40 yards but personally I would not bother when factory 10ga steel BBs pattern well enough to kill buffleheads and oldsquaw at 50 yards or anything else you want. Even morning doves and pigeons just saying.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Nice gun.

10. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

I have had a SP-10 and a Gold lite 10. Now I’m shooting a BPS 10. Wish I never sold the other 2 10s. I’m using a terror tube and shoot Federal BBs that I bought for $209 a case and they pattern very well. I’d like to try some black cloud this year. Love shooting the 10

Killed a turkey with hevi 6s this year at 50 yards. Stone dead.