The 10 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jimbo41, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Shooting Heavyweight loads isn't a time I go to the plug everytime . With the cost of these rounds I use them sparingly , more like , a very well planed
    shot , with a good move to find the "line of flight" and shooting the "lead required" for success , it all comes with experience shooting long distances to be
    successful ! It's actually cheaper than burning through a couple boxes of less capable shells . :yes:l

JP likes this.
  2. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

It is only cheaper if you are stupid enough to keep shooting at birds beyond the range of your less capable shells. You will get to harvest some birds with the TSS loads though.

I'm assuming a guy could use a 20 ga with TSS for long range shooting. I'm asking for cost of long range goose/crane load in 20 ga TSS.

I was hunting ducks with 20 ga last fall and had some of the discontinued Winchester high density shells. I doubled cleanly on giant honkers skirting the decoys with the high density loads. I used steel 4s for the ducks. I get how TSS loads would work great in this type of situation. Sucks when you put in long range shells and flock of ducks comes out of nowhere right into the heart of the decoys.

In most of my hunting situations I can get the birds close enough for 10 to 20 ga steel. Snow goose hunts with multiple hunters is generally when the birds are most skittish. If I had unlimited money I would supply the entire crew with TSS loads. Not a likely scenario. I'm pretty sure not everyone in the group would be real excited with me taking long cracks beyond range of their steel loads. Birds that hit the ground from 70-100 yards would be extremely "beat-up". This is already somewhat of an issue with geese from 50-60 yards.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

At the prices I was quoted TSS was around $2.80 an ounce, maybe more or less now. So if your going to shoot even a 1 ounce 20 gauge load you have to figure over $3 per shell with your own hulls.
    It ain't cheap.

4. Ravenanme

I get a kick out of fellas who think 60 yds is within Steel shots ability , even though they have gone up with pellet size , the pattern density falls off
    drastically ! The only way to start off , is with a payload of at least 150 pellets but with steel being so light going up in shot size to have enough energy
    reduces the pattern density to a 60 % chance , if the bird is centered in the gaussion pattern . With shot that has a density of 13 g/cc or higher and
    reducing the shot size to (say) 5's , there's over 200 pellets in the 1 1/4 oz load giving those 60 yds patterns the density that raises the chances up
    just enough to show a good gun pointer their value !

5. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

I get over 70% patterns with my 0.720 terror at 50 yards, that gives me the minimum count per Roster's tables for large and medium geese. I'm using BBB for honkers and BB for snows. I have not patterned at 60 yards so I guess you got me there.

I have also shot plenty of mallards with steel 1s and Bs with same gun and choke.

For my shooting capabilities I find some value in the extra hassle of a 10 in certain situations. I'm interested in shooting 3 shells at geese with first shot at 40 yards. This can be common with snows when they don't want to play nice. The gun, choke and loads I'm shooting are doing the job better than my 12 ga options. I don't have the $$ to shoot 80 yard snows with TSS.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The last batch I bought was $36/pound and as 10GAGENUT stated, it's the staple of my 16 and 20 gauge loads for waterfowl and turkey. The 10 gauge loadings of #5's in TSS would be for a couple situations here where extreme long-range pass shooting would be encountered. Typical decoy ranges are where the steel loads are appropriate and used in the arsenal.

7. 10GAGENUT

RSI 90 HW 3" 12 gauge 3" recipe has been really impressive with HW13 - 4's, 1 3/8 oz of HW15 6's or 5's would proabably be over kill.
    For the 10 gauge I've found the long range sweet spot I like with 1 3/4 oz HW13- 2's, at 50 yards I'm getting 92-94 % patterns with the .720 Terror tube. The load chronos for me at 1434 fps average, figure fast enough. Like to try the load with HW 15 2's if a get that ambitious someday.

8. Ravenanme

1 3/4 oz of 2's in HW 13 would be over kill as 1 9/16 oz of Steel 2's in the 10 ga has killed my ducks even farther than 50 yds ?
    And , it was YOUR recipe that did it ! :yes:l:l

9. 10GAGENUT

I'm bound and determined to bring down some of those local high flyer geese I have down the road that just will not decoy for me or anybody else. Haven't tried the 1 3/4 oz load yet but you can bet I'm going to, if I have to I'll ask Kangaroo Bob for some of those Hevi BB's he has.
    Sometimes to much is just enough my friend....!!

10. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Have killed more ducks and geese with my SP10 than I did shooting my 12ga's
    Haven't tried loading my own yet for the waterfowl 10 loads, but I am leaning towards a steel/tungsten TSS blend

I had some 10ga loads with steel 4's that murdered ducks. but I can't find anyone now who loads 4's in a 10ga/ Smallest i ever see now is 2's