The 10 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jimbo41, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have loaded 10 gauge 1 1/4 oz loads with steel 3's, with STEEL powder you can load 1 1/4 oz up to 1730 fps, which is a bit to much even for me. I really never use the 10 gauge for decoying birds so I don't make a lot those very fast loads.

skiebuster likes this.
  2. dust

dust Senior Refuge Member

I love the 1 1/4 oz load in the 10 gauge. Its the only load i use with 3 shot for both decoying canada's and snows. I will load it with bb sometimes for windy day snows. It sounds like a rifle when it goes off and 90% of the geese are stone cold dead. Its just a pleasant load to shoot and its something magical about it. I love to see others faces when it just pillowcases them. I even shot it on a swan hunt and it was one shot,stoned. The load just amazes me and I have shot it for 7 or 8 years. I know there are better long range loads, but it is a killer!!!

3. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

That’s smoking fast How far have you patterned that?

4. 10GAGENUT

50 yards with BB and BBB, just not enough pellets at longer ranges for my liking. It's to fast for decoying ducks which is why I went to the 1600 fps Blue Dot 1 1/4 oz load in the manual.
    That 1730 fps load is actually the listed Alliant Remington hull 1 1/4 oz load, according to my chronograph and a few other peoples I have spoken with it's not going listed velocity of 1595 fps and never has.
    If your going to try loading it don't use the Precision Reloading wads use the BPI Multi metal/TPS wad, the PR wads broke petals clean off at the base constantly when I first tested the load

skiebuster likes this.
  5. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

On the complete other end of the spectrum I have a 1 1/4oz load running around 1450 that is an absolute blast to shoot on decoying ducks. Feels like shooting trap loads.

6. 10GAGENUT

I have used the RSI SR 4756 1 1/4 oz 1450 fps load which is a nice one in the field but didn't even mention it becasue unless you have a good supply of 4756 on hand it's a mute point with the powder being discontinued.

7. jzoo

I’m using 45gr blue dot for these and they function well. Sam1, fed hull, 209a, and almost 1” of spacers lol

8. 10GAGENUT

Question for me is will they reliably cycle an automatic like the Gold 10 or SP-10, I've found a lot of 1 1/4 oz loads just won't cut it. With the RSI wads and 1 1/4oz loads I usually have to use around 47- 48 grains of Blue Dot just to get my Gold 10 to cycle.

9. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Hey there Jimbo ,

I’ve shot the 10bore almost exclusively the last 12 years or so ? I’ve never shot a reload once and I’ve been happy as a pig in **** about the results . I’ve basically settled on BB For all around .. and then BBB OR T for Canada goose season when ducks are out . I recently purchased 10ga nuts reloading manual and I plan on saving my hulls . He’s the authority and has the years and experience that takes decades to accumulate with reloading the 10 .

Long live the 10 gauge ! It’s the cats *** for a waterfowl gun .

jzoo, JP, Sunklands and 1 other person like this.
  10. jzoo

Yes, these cycle in both of my Gold's. Granted I am not shooting them late season when temp's are below freezing and I'm running 209a's.