The 10 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jimbo41, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That's kind of my thinking and why I asked, many times when it gets cold low pressure Blue Dot loads get a bit unreliable.
    Found out one thing, Longshot although it's a great powder makes a mess when the weather gets cold with low pressure loads.
    Had made up some Longshot low pressure loads and shot them when it was around 28 degrees out, my barrel was coated with unburnt powder very badly after only four shots. Switched to Unique with a similar load and that problem was solved for the cold.

2. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I’d enjoy seeing a resurgence of the 10gauge in the waterfowl community . Factory Ammo wise , more available gun models with new technology , as well as new 10 gauge hunters out there .

It does seem like more people are talking about 10 gauge on the forums the last few years than when you didn’t hear much 10ga chatter during the 3.5” autoloading 12 gauge booming years in the early 2000s .

Nothing is much worse than a 10 vs 12 pissing match online because each have proven well successful in their respected arenas over the course of time and history .

However, when comparing cheap basic run of the mill steel shot to steel shot one of the biggest things I enjoy with the 10 gauge for shooting ducks and geese is it is much less pattern sensitive , Choke sensitive , and ammo brand sensitive compared to the sometimes very finicky 12 . **And that equates to less cripples and less sailed off birds ** Over a large spectrum of various reasonable and I emphasize ‘reasonable’ ranges from close to fringey distances . More than likely it will preform well to your liking without doing much or any homework at all . My definition of reasonable ranges is within the boundary of 50 yards .

Personally we don’t always get the ducks or geese back peddling every day with their toenails scraping the water at 15-20 yards so that is a big factor into my confidence in the 10 . And it’s not getting any easier with each passing year the birds seem to get smarter .

I’ve done a fair share of patterning with the SP-10 but I’ve also had times when I’ve just grabbed ammo as it’s available . As long as it’s 1400FPS or so or faster ideally 1450fps+ whether it was Federal , Winchester , Estate , or Remington . Be it 2s 1s BB or BBB and I cant recall a lack of performance compared to 12ga were it could be a MAJOR hit or miss experience between ammo selection and that’s not fair to the ducks or geese .

Nothing I’ve fed my 10 gauge seemed to waver to an extreme lack of performance from my normal go-to loads I’ve put the time into patterning as various distances . That drives my confidence level though the roof knowing more or less anything I load into that old war horse will knock them out of the sky dead for me at a reasonable distance as long as I do my part in the wing shooting department .

God Bless and Good Huntin’ .

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Den and Jack likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

To each his own is what I say. Thing that gets me the most is the Hype that's been put into the One Gun can do it all with the 3.5" 12 gauge. I've found out that the one product can do it all or one size fits all advertising usually means the product or gun does everything marginally well but doesn't do it better than a product or gun designed specifically for the job.
    Like I said to each his own.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  4. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

My new favorite 10ga load takes a Remington hull, TPS1035 and 1 9/16oz of Zink plated B (#128 pellets). Standard 209 primers. Runs about 1500fps. I plan on shooting it often this fall.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    10GAGENUT and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

If that's your 100 BB load I like it quite a bit myself.

6. baltz526

the tps likes less powder than the MM. 128 Copper plated B is 1 1/2oz. 128 Zink B is 1 9/16oz. The extra weight seems to settle down the load with cci209's

10GAGENUT likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I believe what you're saying outside the ballpark but inside the 50 , My 1 oz of B's (.177's) works well too !

10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. baltz526

Just had the Gold apart for preseason cleaning. Ready for another few hundred rounds.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.