The Beast is here!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

10 can send 1-5/8 oz of round shot at 1420 fps.
    1-1/2 oz at 1450 in a 10 ga BPS doesn't kick anything like 1-3/8 oz at 1550 in a 12 ga 870.
    The only real disadvantage to the 10 ga is it's not as nimble as the smaller guns; slower to get up and on birds.

oleww likes this.
  2. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Personally, I have no desire to convince the 12 gauge guys...

3. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

4. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

My reloads send 1.5 ounces at 1550-1600 FPS with 3 inch 12 gauge level recoil. Factory 10 ammo is adequate. To really benefit you need to reload.

5. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

With a 12ga 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz 1500fps BBB load (Federal Premium) At best I got modified type patterns at 40 yards. If I match this type of load in a 10ga. I can get extra full type patterns at 50 yards. Without the brutal recoil of the 3 1/2" 12ga load. If you are going to shoot multiple days in a row. The high performance 10ga loads in my BPS have about the same recoil abuse as a 3" 1 1/4oz 12ga 1400fps in a 870 pump shotgun. I shoot both.

bullpinnie, duckbuster5901 and JRS like this.
  6. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Sent trigger to Rob Roberts today.
    Hope they can get it right!

7. jamescd1

jamescd1 Senior Refuge Member

@DrDuk what was wrong with the trigger? I haven't noticed anything odd with mine.

8. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Lots of creep and heavy pull!
    Once you get used to a “good” trigger, a bad one won’t work for me.

9. Pheasantpete

Pheasantpete Senior Refuge Member

You can avoid a great deal of heavy load punishment by going to a gas auto without the heavy weight of the 10 gauge. I owned the Benelli Nova pump for 1 year. That lightweight fixed action was holy terror with 3.5" goose loads. Good riddance.

Years ago I found a very nice Franchi 912 that wasn't handled by an incompetent shooter. They would put the well marked reversible gas ring in for light loads and then fire the heaviest loads with it set up like that damaging the action bars. The heavy setting bleed a great deal of gas and greatly reduced recoil. Most gas guns built today do not have a variable gas action because owners generally will not set them right and beat up the action bars.

Many a nice shooting auto was broken by incompetent owners. The High Standard Supermatic Deluxe duck guns are hard to find without cracked action bars. However the variable gas system meant one could adjust gas pressure just enough to cycle the action. They were more time consuming to get tuned.

The Franchi 912 was like shooting pheasant loads out of a fixed action with 3.5" Turkey loads. A real pleasure to shoot and a nice trigger. Unfortunately I sold it, a decision I thoroughly regret.

I now unfortunately have a Remington 11-87 Supermag but at least it kicks much less than pumps. However it ain't in the same league that the Franchi 912 was in. Always loved Franchi's gas guns, too bad Berretta yanked them for competing to much with the higher priced Berreta gas Autos.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hey I've shot decoying ducks with high powered high speed rounds that hurt and...
    I shot holes right thru them.
    It's weird.
    You smoke one but it takes a couple flaps to figure out its dead. Then you pick it up and it's a bloody mess...exit wounds.
    Makes cleaning easier I guess.

I like 1450 fps