The dreaded 5.0

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So way back when I defended the 5.0 V-8 F-150’s honor and last May I had to replace the water pump. 95k and 5 years old. Whatever not to bad change and was like a $50 dollar part.

Fast forward to last week. I changed the oil and notice the coolant is low again. Sure as **** the bearing on the pump is going again. <1 year and 20k on that pump.

Anyone on here found a better replacement pump than the oem one? I see a Gates one that’s even cheaper than the OEM…

Is there merit in changing the tensioner pulleys when I replace this pump? I did put fresh belts on last time I had to change it out.

Do I just chalk it up as yearly maintenance and figure the part cost me about 2/3 a tank of gas…

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The OEM replacement motorcraft part is failing that early? That’s odd. You may have more going on or just got a bad part.

If I replace a serpentine part, I replace them all; belt, tensioner, and idler.

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oem orange stuff which has been discontinued I believe… when I replaced the last one I did have the dealer do a coolant system flush and asked them to replace it with oem Ford coolant. Guy nodded his head but who knows what they put in it.

Its definitely not toast. I ran the last one until it blew lol. I was waiting on the parts. It’s definitely lost coolant tho and it’s louder when running. Just like when the first one went. Took tension off the belt and has some end play. Not a ton like the first one but it needs to replaced sooner rather than later.

I found a Murray brand pump with a limited lifetime warranty. Just trying to making sure nothing else is causing it to fail so quickly. Probably top it off with motorcraft yellow coolant this time and run a higher concentration. Debating changing belts again (only 20k) and tensioner pulleys. I think the tensioners are the idlers as all other pulleys are actively running something.

WOODIE13

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tougher on a vehicle that sits a lot v. one that runs all the time...

I'll leave FORD out of it all together

Masked Mallard

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The car manufacturers are just assembly plants. They put the bid out for different parts companies to make their product, then have their name put on the part.

A technician I had worked with was washing his hands, after putting on a new water pump. As the car was idling, the water pump locked up. One thing I did learn working automotive, was to stay away from rebuilt mechanical pumps (water pumps, master cylinders, wheel cylinders, a/c compressors, power steering pumps, etc…). Always seemed like a seal would fail within a year.

FYI, there are “High Flow” water pumps (thermostat housings?) (thermostats with a steam hole) out there for the Ford 5.0.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is there a warranty you can leverage? Kinda strange….