The Duck Factory

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by PorkChop, Aug 25, 2019.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just saw this. Figured I would screenshot it for those that may be interested.

468D52F7-03C2-4677-B170-FBA40FF6BE2B.png
    CC522FF6-2F9C-40E7-8748-35BEC1B3D11A.png

2. Duckslayer100

Duckslayer100 Refuge Member

I bought it the day they sent that alert. Can't wait to get it!

3. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Bought a copy too.

That said, who is the guy in the little boat ??

Not exactly the typical mode of operation for the average duck hunter in ND.

Not sure that would be much fun if the wind came up to 30 mph gusting to 50 with that much stuff above the water-line.

Wouldn't a hen mallard and a brood of ducks be a better fit ???

4. Duckslayer100

Modern hunters, maybe. But that was pretty typical back in the day. Heck, that's the way I'm rolling this year. To hell with the field hunting BS. A little boat, dog, decoys and gun. Can't get much better than that!

Jethro48 and PorkChop like this.
  5. prairie hunter

Curious what "back in the day" (time period) and what part of ND ??

I have been hunting waterfowl in ND since 1975. I can say we were very atypical in that we hunted both water and crop land. Almost no ND waterfowlers owned floaters and fewer still could run a duck call. First boat I saw in ND waterfowl hunting was probably around 1996. Still see very, very few.

Back in the day we hunted water across much of central ND and only opening day did we see any "competition" at all. Of course water was a wee bit scarce through most of the 80s. I have hunted and killed waterfowl in nearly every county within the Divide to Richland to Walsh triangle and a few counties outside that boundary too. Not much for boats.

I have used a boat and even a canoe a few consecutive years in the late 90s and early 2000s. It worked well to get out to an island or two, but beyond that I found it was rarely worth the effort. Boated out to mallard island a time or two too. Fun none the less.

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

You didn't see a boat till 1996! Good God what middle of nowhere apparently nowhere near any road with any sort of traffic where you in the boat parade was already legendary by the mid 80s! I see boats almost daily when out scouting and 2 out of 3 have ND plates.

PorkChop likes this.
  7. Duckslayer100

I suppose it's regional then? I started hunting here in 2002 with my uncles, who have been hunting Nodak since the mid 80s. They never field hunted as long as I knew them. I started field hunting more in college because that was the cool thing to do and there still wasn't too much pressure.

I think that picture looks pretty typical of the coteau region near Devils Lake, possibly just to the south a ways. Lots of potholes and some bigger water. Areas that made more sense to paddle to a spot, versus walking around it. I dunno. That specific picture looks 1960s or 70s-ish based on picture quality and hunting garb the fella is wearing.

PorkChop likes this.
  8. prairie hunter

Clarify ... boat on the water in ND. The boat parade was mainly trailers disguised as boats ;)

In the 80s and 90s there were only 5K or so NR hunters and many of those came to hunt geese.

Yes - now ND hunters have boats. The ones I see ... mostly parked in the yards and driveways of small town hunters are usually much bigger than the one in the book cover photo.

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Feel free to post up the link to where you got 5,000 nonresidence for the night 80's and 90's! They definitely dropped during the early 90's drought but that was short lived and never affected DL. There's a reason why the 14-day limit was put in a place well before the 2000s!

10. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

No way 5K is correct. Maybe 15K.