The end of seaduck hunting in Washington

Rossi717

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm an avid duck hunter.

I know most people are interested in the protection and preservation of waterfowl in Washington. A couple of retired aviculturists, NOAA, (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration scientists), Audubon Society bird watchers, and anti-hunters watch this forum. Some of these people aren't happy about the decline in seaducks in Washington state. I know other declining factors in seaducks are due to habitat loss, popularity in hunting, and avian flu. I wouldn't be surprised if the USFWL ran an investigation in the future about people not accurately reporting their seaduck harvest information. These people are aware of many cases of overharvesting and abuse of resources in Washington. These guys are also watching the thread in the Diver duck forum "why throw Seaducks in the trash" .

These anti-hunters have been involved with the sea duck hunting season in the Pacific Northwest area. Guides, both nonresident/ residents are advertising sea duck hunting and opportunities to get your trophy Harlequins, Barrows Goldeneye. etc Lots of out of state hunters are coming, shooting Harlequins, Barrows, and leaving with their taxidermy specimens. Unfortunately, 70% of these hunters don't return their required results. The penalty is that they can not get another license in the future. They do not care because they have their Harlequins and do not plan on coming back. Additionally, 30% of WA residents do not return their hunting results. So, consequently, the population has been steadily declining. These bird-watching and scientist groups are optimistic that F&WL will close the season for a couple of years and find a better way of staying on top of census counts. It sounds like the Harlequin season is currently closed and will be closed for a couple of years. I know I will get flammed by some arm chair internet trolls, but this last paragraph was a word-for-word response by one these anti-hunters. I would really hate to see seaduck hunting close in Washington for good if we as duck hunters don't get our act together.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I personally would be ok with sea duck closing if it would assure that the negative aspects mentioned above: non resident clients, guides and those seaking sea duck trophies only would go away. I don't hunt them. Puddlers and geese for me.

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There's no way they determine acceptable population numbers based on harvest reports.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I personally would be ok with sea duck closing if it would assure that the negative aspects mentioned above: non resident clients, guides and those seaking sea duck trophies only would go away. I don't hunt them. Puddlers and geese for me.
First thing you and I have ever semi agreed on. :l

full choke

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm an avid duck hunter.

I know most people are interested in the protection and preservation of waterfowl in Washington. A couple of retired aviculturists, NOAA, (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration scientists), Audubon Society bird watchers, and anti-hunters watch this forum. Some of these people aren't happy about the decline in seaducks in Washington state. I know other declining factors in seaducks are due to habitat loss, popularity in hunting, and avian flu. I wouldn't be surprised if the USFWL ran an investigation in the future about people not accurately reporting their seaduck harvest information. These people are aware of many cases of overharvesting and abuse of resources in Washington. These guys are also watching the thread in the Diver duck forum "why throw Seaducks in the trash" .

These anti-hunters have been involved with the sea duck hunting season in the Pacific Northwest area. Guides, both nonresident/ residents are advertising sea duck hunting and opportunities to get your trophy Harlequins, Barrows Goldeneye. etc Lots of out of state hunters are coming, shooting Harlequins, Barrows, and leaving with their taxidermy specimens. Unfortunately, 70% of these hunters don't return their required results. The penalty is that they can not get another license in the future. They do not care because they have their Harlequins and do not plan on coming back. Additionally, 30% of WA residents do not return their hunting results. So, consequently, the population has been steadily declining. These bird-watching and scientist groups are optimistic that F&WL will close the season for a couple of years and find a better way of staying on top of census counts. It sounds like the Harlequin season is currently closed and will be closed for a couple of years. I know I will get flammed by some arm chair internet trolls, but this last paragraph was a word-for-word response by one these anti-hunters. I would really hate to see seaduck hunting close in Washington for good if we as duck hunters don't get our act together.

Well, it was good while it lasted I guess.

By the way, there is no "we as duck hunters".

We as duck hunters can't even decide that unharvested artificially flooded corn fields for the sole purpose of killing ducks are even unharvested artificially flooded corn fields.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know seattle doesn't want us to hunt "puddlers and geese. The only part we play in the regulatory process is providing money. When they shut us off from hunting it will be because we don't pay enough for our opinions to count.

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, it was good while it lasted I guess.

By the way, there is no "we as duck hunters".

We as duck hunters can't even decide that unharvested artificially flooded corn fields for the sole purpose of killing ducks are even unharvested artificially flooded corn fields.
So do we put the corn on the water or water on the corn?

All Day

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
70% of these hunters don't return their required results. The penalty is that they can not get another license in the future. They do not care because they have their Harlequins and do not plan on coming back. Additionally, 30% of WA residents do not return their hunting
This armchair internet troll is curious about where these numbers come from.
I hear what you are saying. But, we have a majority of anti-hunters on our WDFW Commission. They pretty much allowed the taking of LOTS of harliquin.
The sea duck that eat shellfish are prone to the red tides, adding to the reduction of scoters.
I have known a bunch of sea duck hunters and none that I know of would ignore the reporting of the ducks.
I would think that some good management would bring the numbers up where they belong. I don't think the harliquin season will ever open again.