The first week of the second phase

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by duckmanJR, Dec 15, 2018.

1. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

So, the first week is over and second week is starting. Is everyone having a good season so far?
    It's been a good start but we will soon be in the mid season doldrums....and it seems conditions are wildly varied from one part of the state to another. We just had a big front move thru yesterday into today and it seems that the Gulf coast got some serious flooding rain....while the east side is still in a drought from mid state south.

So far for me it is Mottled ducks and teal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Petterson and Duck Wrangler like this.
  2. duckmanJR

Finally got todays teal pictures to load in imgur

[​IMG]

3. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Having a better year than last year so pretty good. I've been seeing enough birds to stay interested. Here's one from the weekend. 20181208_093953.jpg

4. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

I'm hoping something changes but I'm not holding my breath. My usual public spots don't have enough birds to bother waking up. My private spots don't have a drop of water. Its ok though, there is always next year, and I've been keeping busy with the hogs and deer.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Slow, low water, brown goo in marsh, only a handful of birds but I must go out and try...already thinking turkey season but for now more ducking days to go

6. duckmanJR

Tuff day today....First thing I lost my Mottled even though I had a solid mark... it was now I realized my breathables had a small leak in the right leg....but that was not to matter shortly. Then, I fell while walking and sat on my phone... in the water...somehow breaking the screen ( might have been crunched by keys in my pocket) ...and somehow getting water in the baggy it was in...it is probably toasted. So, I spent the day wet....and I will blame some poor shooting on that :D...... ended with 2 teal ( should have had 2 more... missed easy shots) and the lost mottled....

I'll try an "easy" boat hunt tomorrow...

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Wish I had that mix of mottled and teal- great eating! Shallowing up down here but only a handful of dabblers. Sand, marl, coral rock are not good for mud motor props.

8. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Nice. Havent hunted in five years. Maybe this January.

9. Cameb7mm

Cameb7mm New Member

Sounds dismal down there. Still better than north Ga. I lived outside Orlando for 20+ years and hunted everyday of the season the last 5 I was there.
    Moved up to north GA 10 years ago and there really is no ducks up here. Got the itch to go out again this year and I’ve scoured and hunted a week straight. I’ve seen 30 ducks sky high and 8 close enough to the water to identify. And I’ve killed 1 hen ringer.
    Was thinking about heading down to my old haunts on the river for a couple days. But it sounds like there’s no water this year huh?
    Maybe a ride to Arkansas or Tennessee?

10. duckmanJR

If you are talking about the St Johns...yes, the water in the upper basin is VERY low.
    Oddly, if you get north into N. Central Florida and the west coast north of Tampa...they have lots of water.