The Good Ol Days...LEAD SHOT!!

wooduck26

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For those who hunted during the good ol days of lead, What was your favorite load for ducks/geese?

Love-to-hunt

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used to reload all of my own lead shot. Used # 2 for geese and # 4 for ducks. I wish we could still use the stuff.

Big Bad Wolf

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We use to take 2 3/4 inch lead BB's to Canada. You can kill honkers at stupid ranges. Alot less sailers and crips too. You can kill snows as far you can hit them with those lead BB's.

Sasha and Abby

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
goose_caller said:
Sir, step away from the bong.:fp

Yeah really... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The best load over decoys was 1 1/4oz of 7 1/2's. A bit further was #6's or #5's... Unreal. :eek:

nicollethunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
goose_caller said:
Sir, step away from the bong.:fp

No kidding, although I only got to hunt lead for a couple of years. Hevi-Shot is good, but there's a big difference between that and some Win. Expert BB. No matter what conditions, range, or species.

Shawn Bloomhuff

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
1 3/8 #4's for ducks and 1 7/8 BB for geese. Those two loads and many others would kill at extreme ranges, it was almost unfair. I have a feeling OlemanRiver will agree with me on these 2 choices, we shot them together for a few years. Whoever said that steel of today is better just doesnt understand how good lead used to be.