Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Aug 11, 2021.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

My spread is getting to be like a giant yard sale rig this days....
    the con of that is it can be challenging to pick up and organize the spreads after the hunt.

Typically, I'll have at least 2 permanent spreads that I will leave out during the non conservation order season.
    that spread consist of the following (divided):
    Several hundred TNT's ( I like this because they stack well in the trailer, and don't take up much room)
    200 Avery one piece FB's
    400 Two Piece Avery FB's
    120 Hardcore FB's
    10+ Doz Avery Shells ( These look good on top of the pit, and gives a hi/low look mixed in the FB's) Middlebar SOBS.jpg
    I don't run any electronic decoys, but use some flappers, and old goose noose flyers if there is wind for them. Also still use flagman pole kites.
    I also have a "running rig" for spring hunting that consists of a couple thousand Silosocks, and about 1000 White Rocks. I think both look pretty good, but picking up a thousand WR's with fiberglass stakes gives me blisters on my hands. I would prefer to have a rig that was all of the same type of decoys, but the spring birds move through arkansas so quickly anymore that it is hardly worth changing .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    MO Drake, salthunter and hunting1 like this.
  2. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

When I guided we ran usually 8-10 spreads. We did move spreads if numbers were consistently poor. Guides who have been in the business, know roosts, flight patterns, ect. I leave my spread up for a week when I go. I do have a 1000 bird spread I use for x hunts.

What I hated was guides who were lazy as hell. They always said they liked following me cause I hid the blinds. Don't be afraid to push your guide to do some work if they are lazy. Call the outfitter, it is not your job to make them happy. It is theirs. They better make rounds a few times everyday to adjust decoys, stick them back in the ground. Work on the hide.

And at 3000+ dollars for a field with 6-8 guys. If they don't work for you spread the news. They need to be ran out of the business. To many hard working outfitters that deserve your money.

DaPutts, MO Drake, salthunter and 3 others like this.
  3. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

On ecallers. Don't skimp. I have three, parts to fix all three, but I only run two. I hunted a day with out one once. Never, ever again.

Big three
    FoxPro
    Juvie
    SNows down Low.

I am buying a Juvie this winter. His sounds are my go to tracks.

salthunter and snowgooseman like this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Which ones?

I saw they started advertising on InstaGram

5. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Ecallers are not part of our season as they aren't legal here.

Speaking of wintering birds, not migrators we typically have 3 spreads set that will have different traffic depending on weather.

This year we are adding a smaller mobil spread of 60 doz snows and 10 dozen specs

salthunter and hunting1 like this.
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I completely understand that.

As a total no-nothing about snow geese , I expected to be on feeds as advertised. Just don't put it in their add or tell me.

Learning snow goose speak is helpfull :)

7. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

NO guarantee on a feed, snows might not even know where they are going the next day. Went with probably the best outfitter for snows there is to learn. What I learned is for daily setups on feeds it takes scouts that do nothing but scout, get permission & watch field till dark, gas money, & total teamwork.

MO Drake, salthunter and hunting1 like this.
  8. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

It's also highly dependent on location whether chasing feeds is possible or worth the time. In some areas the birds don't often repeat on a feed. And then permission in some areas is very hard to get (especially those with heavy guide pressure like squaw creek) so moving around isn't much of an option.

We have tended towards areas with less pressure where chasing the feeds is an option, but seems we still end up setting for a few days on the same field if traffic is good. Usually our setup field was chosen because it was a feed.

9. double limit

double limit Elite Refuge Member

Wealth of knowledge thread. Thanks to all.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My post above almost sounds like I was complaining.
    the service did a fine job, the guides were great!

my complaint was they posted some info on their website and that's not the way anybody does business anymore
    I was used to hunting Canada's from anx field or traffic, with the perception of a feed.

if I had any real complaints, it's just that they were based out of one town with fields 40 to 60 miles away and their rooms were twice of the small accommodations near the fields.

I was impressed with our main guide.
    The service just sh p uld eliminate the add describing hunting and setting fresh fields.
    Sounds like a the services hunt the same farms for years. .
    The idea of scouting daily was more like when moving to an area which field had good corn hides