The Grand

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by whitey11, Mar 15, 2019.

1. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

I just can't see growing 400 to 800 acres of corn then flooding to shoot ducks is a sound business practice. I would think somebody would get tired of loosening money sooner or later.

2. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

It's a lot different than a neighbor having less than optimal habitat or you doing improvements. If it creates a monopoly then people should be mad. It also effects the whole state. I hate that HF and the MDC are trying to lock down every duck in the state onto mega refuges that have limited access. They have played the same game on the east side and it sucks too.

People may find ducks concentrated on the refuges and get frustrated. Those same people may decide that Nov and Dec a better time to take up their newfound passions of drone flying, setting off explosives, and just being general pains in the assets ya know? After all, it's legal.

It's obviously working, right?

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I agree with you 100% and will add if the feds just outlawed baiting and changed that little clause about flooding corn/crops this would all go away.

But all food plots are a bad idea. Chronic wasting disease will be the death of deer hunting because of food plots and baiting as well.

Or the pay to play game will so decimate the population of hunters that the antis will crush those that remain.

This is greed pure and simple. A desire by the “sports” to flash some brag photos and a desire by the “guides” to make a ton of money off a public resource.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I thoroughly enjoyed my lease property when I had it, more convenience than anything else for me as I was working so many hours scouting/find a place to hunt was not in the picture for me. We didn't have 400 acres of flooded corn or anything like that, but it was a great place to go shoot a few ducks and relax for a few days.

5. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

The answer here is simple the solution isn't. We must ban the intentional flooding of production agriculture. We must change the the law's nobody including government agency should be allowed to flood agricultural crops for waterfowl. Love him or hate him Rob Leonard had a sound management plan for grand pass. The pass provided moist soil management the surrounding fields and wetlands also provided useful habits.

wyfarrell likes this.
  6. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

At this point I hope they do get rid of i intentionally flooded crops and spread the birds back out.

7. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Had to look twice....thought I had accidentally tuned into the Louisiana Forum

or stumbled into the Flyway Federation Secret Web Page.

It boils down to this--- you want to tell someone how they can use their property???
    You want to tell someone how they can hunt their property??
    Because that is what it is---

If you truly believe that hunting over flooded crops equals baiting
    If you truly believe that unless God put the water there by flood or by rain you should not be able to hunt flooded ground
    If you truly believe that 'rich guys' are stealing your ducks....that you aren't going to shoot as many ducks as you think you should...that you aren't going to shoot your 'fair share' of a 'public resource'.

Then you you have 2...maybe 3 options

Option 1
    Get off your wallet and send Josh Goins and the Flyway Federation $60 so they can sue the USFWS and all the other state wildlife agencies so the Louisiana ducks hunters can kill more ducks because they believe the same things you do.
    Hell,buy a membership for your wife and kids also. They will like the T-shirts and barrel decals.

Forget the fact they killed 740,000 ducks on THEIR WORSE YEAR and Missouri only killed 520,000 on OUR BEST YEAR.

Louisiana won't have to spend any money to fix their jacked up habitat....they can have y'all jack up our habitat and maybe it will let them kill 2 million ducks like they did in 2013.
    What are you going to do if they decide they want to kill 3 million ducks and sue to have it so you can only hunt ducks between 8 and noon on Saturdays,Sundays and Wednesdays??
    After all, they believe the same things.....that they think they aren't killing ducks because of the actions of other people.

You say you don't want to give some Louisiana jack wagon any money?

Option 2
    Start the Missouri Flyway Federation and see if you can get people to send you $60 and you can sue the USFWS and the MDC.
    I'm sure Josh Goins will share who does his T-shirts and barrel decals and you probably already know a lawyer or two.If you don't just ask your insurance agent which lawyer is the biggest ambulance chaser in your area and go from there.

Option 3

Trot your butt down to the US Post Office and buy a book or two of stamps-- a book is just over $10 but it is still cheaper than Options 1 and 2 and since you are so concerned with costs of leases and land values etc....this might be your best option.
    Then write the Acting Director of the USFWS-- she used t work for DU. I think she will know what your are talking about.
    Then write Hawley and Blunt and have them write the Acting Director of the USFWS---tell them you will vote against them if they don't.
    You might want to have them write a letter to the President while they are at it.
    Then your US Congressman, Your state senator and your state representative... tell them all about how you fear you won't kill any ducks or whatever.
    Be sure and write the MDC Commissioners and the Head of the MDC and tell them all about it as well.

You know...after cussin and discussing this issue... I think you and all those Louisaiana baws might persuade me to join you in rolling waterfowl management back to the Dust Bowl level

or I just might decide to quit duck hunting and then have to decide if I am going to Hell or start hunting road goats..... they both look the same to me.

Good luck to you---

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

The funny thing, is some can’t even comprehend their correlation. I’m so over the discussion.

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

You are looking at this as a baiting flooded crop issue. I’m
    Looking at this as a land grab, controlling the resources, greed issue. This will do nothing to enhance the hunting for anyone in the surrounding area. Access is the number one reason why people get out of hunting. Here you have a few rich greedy men tying up the land and effectively displacing other hunters and proving them right out of hunting. That’s common sense and that part can not be debated. Not one bit. There’s nothing morally or ethically right about this. I’ve always been against moves like this because I’ve seen the destruction it has done to the south. There’s absolutely no good upside to this for the average hunter.

Ramblingman likes this.
  10. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

You’re missing the point. The area wasn’t being accessed by public anyway. I don’t get how purchasing a piece of private property to develop, takes away from public access. It’s not like they went and bought grand pass.

So if you’d still like to debate this, I’d love to ask you a few questions:

1. How is this taking away from public access?

2. How is this greed?

3. Let’s pretend, in a hypothetical view, that you had a handshake agreement with this farmer and he let you hunt this field. By your logic, how are you not the greedy one? You’ve taken access away from hypothetical me because you’ve now locked up that resource.

Land is not free roam. It never has been. It’s wonderful that your area has not succumb to leasing but again, you’re taking a FF principle stance that you should not allow someone to what they want because you have either a skewed perspective of the situation or that you deem it unfair.