Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

The migration is on!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Out of focus, Aug 22, 2021.

1. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Yesterday coming home from elk hunting the field to the north of my place 4 miles had thousands of "Trumpeter swans, a few ducks and no geese. Ive never seen anything like it

Olddogmac likes this.
  3. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Nah....the young guys I hunt with were out this morning. That's the 9 month old pup we've been training all summer....my kids pup.

I was good with a day off....back to the hunting grounds tomorrow.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Nice shootin tex.

5. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

dude....I've never actually killed a duck.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Right spicoli.png

7. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Can you harvest swans out that way? Permit required?

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Many states have tundra swan season . Idaho has a season in the north part of the state. Utah has a seson ,, somewhere around 1200 permits per year.

These are trumpeters, supposed more rare and endangered

9. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Tonight Snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low minus 11. Wind chill minus 18 overnight.

Fri, 26 Nov Periods of snow ending in the morning then mainly cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light late in the afternoon. High minus 9. Wind chill minus 19 in the morning and minus 14 in the afternoon. UV index 1 or low.
    Night A few clouds. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 14. Wind chill near minus 20.

We were supposed to get this 5 days ago. Ponds and skinny water got a skim of ice one night early in the week, then it warmed up and everything was open again.
    We had birds today that weren't here yesterday. Flight day. Mallards calling on the lake at my folks place and song birds roosting in the cedars tonight?

This year was late. I was taking care of business with Dock Spider nests a month late this year (they knew). We pushed our duck killin' week back a week on a hunch and it was still too damn warm. Our normal week in a normal year, it's not uncommon to get snow. This year we barely lit a fire in the camp. Slept with the windows open some nights.
    I saw a garter snake Halloween.. wasn't even sluggish. The ducks we did get would trickle in and not be in any hurry to go anywhere. They were headed south but uphill and in 1st gear.

Judging by the temps up north it looks like things are finally locking up. Stuff is on it's way, but these birds will hit southern Ontario and probably not have to go anywhere for a while.

10. Olddogmac

Olddogmac New Member

I agree. It's over. Birds on radar moving enmass to TX and LA from IL and MO. Nothing's flying in Canada or the Dakota's and hasn't for days.