Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Missus' Cabin -

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Hi Rat -
    I started pullin' mine 6 yrs ago, but I swear, I sure never felt "elderly".
    I'm going to have to ponder this for a moment..... Yep! They are wrong!
    Elderly folk don't do what me & my Missus' get into!

Nope! Not us.......

Me & the Missus' and Maggs of course......

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon Gents -
    We finally hit 3 days in a row(AND perfect days I might add!!!) to get the crew together and move the Missus' new old cabin to its new home! It was 2 1/2 miles away but a chore none the less. The roof had to come off and bands needed to go around it to keep it together. It was built in the late 1800's is all we can come up with, but old anyways..
    We had to jack it up 45" to go over the trlr and then let it back down on un-even ground.

[​IMG]

We got it home at about 4pm yesterday afternoon and set it down this morning..

[​IMG]

My Missus' just couldn't be any happier! Its going to be the "Kitchen Cabin". Wre have a very old wood stove that was my Mom's, so it will be hooked up and used. What a bunch of work!!

[​IMG]

I need to be duck huntin' now!

Me & Maggs..........

Gander View and stevena198301 like this.
  3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

IMG_3766.JPG IMG_3553 (Edited).JPG Afternoon gents -
    My Missus' just don't stop. She has worked hard on her little cabin, now dubbed
    The "Cedar Creek Cabin" cause it came from the Cedar Creek area. She says its now open for lookin' almost. Its been a bunch of work but we have preserved another little piece of history. The guy who gave it to us came by and was quite surprised. He told us that several years ago, this very old lady came by and asked if she could visit their home. Seems she was born in the home. When she looked out back, she saw the little cabin. She said that her Dad and a couple of the family members went somewhere several miles away(which could have been 4 or 5 miles cause' they went by wagon) and tore down the little cabin which was quite old already. They put it back up and turned it into their smoke house. We're assuming that ages the little cabin to around 1850's or so. She remembered her Mom fussing to Daddy about the cabin being so old
    but the cedar logs were in perfect shape and no rot.(there is still no rot in them!) Nice to hear a story like that..

Then, this past Saturday, she wanted to go over and get the rest of the "cut rocks" that came out of the old fireplace IMG_3553 (Edited).JPG IMG_3766.JPG

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Here is what My Missus' did with those "cut rock", and mostly by herself whislt' I unloaded the rest of them. These are under her "Anderson Cabin" which was her Mom's side of the family's old homeplace.

IMG_3774.jpg
    All of the cabins & the pole barn are now underpinned with rock. WHEW!! We really don't know what the future is for saving these old structures but we did our best. It sure is nice and peaceful to sit on the cabin porch in the evening and over-see the compound of sorts of the old buildings and imagine what could be said back in the day.....

Me & Maggs.........

Gander View likes this.
  5. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

This is one heck of a good thread my old friend! Everything looks great. its obvious a lot of thought, planning, hard work, and love went into what you've done on your farm....

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thanks Mr. Gil -
    I was thinking about you a couple days ago - wonderin' what was going on with you & the family.
    Good to here from you.

Me & Maggs......