North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

The new proposed Hyde County blind law

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Steelshot Scott, May 28, 2019.

1. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

It would appear to the casual observer, there could be a taint of conflict of interest here.

First we have the Country Commissioner that is favoring this new proposed law. He is a man by the name of Ben Simmons. It seems his father owns a huge guide service known as DARE TO HYDE Guide Service. DARE TO HYDE Guide Service seems to be poised to benefit from this law if it passes.

Ben Simmon's father is a man by the name of Jamin Simmons(I think that is how it is spelled, I am not sure. I have only heard it pronounced, never seen it spelled). The Chairman of the Commission is Chase Luker.

Chase Luker is the manager of Dare to Hyde Guide Service. Dare to Hyde is owned by Jamin Simmons. Jamin Simmons is the father of Ben Simmons. Ben Simmons is the commissioner who appointed Luker.

Ben Simmons(County Commissioner) has appointed an employee of his father's guide service to make recommendations. Recommendations that could benefit the company he works for and potentinally could make money for the father of the Commissioner who appointed him.

Coincidentally(maybe) it seems that DARE TO HYDE GUIDE SERVICE will be offering scissor rig hunts starting this year. Coincidentally(maybe) , DARE TO HYDE GUIDE SERVICE would seem to be in a position to profit from a restrictive new blind law that would in effect freeze out the majority of taxpayer hunters from public water. They have never offered scissor rig hunts before, but now, at the same time that the law is poised to go into effect, DARE TO HYDE seems ready to capitalize on it Of course it could just be a coincidence.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Make up your own mind.

Here is the law as proposed. It is nothing more than a new version of the so-called "Safe Hunter Law" of Pamlico and Carteret Counties.

NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL ASSEMBLY2019 SESSIONAN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR SAFE DISTANCES FOR HUNTING MIGRATORY WILDWATERFOWL IN MAINLAND HYDE COUNTY.

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:SECTION 1. Except as provided in Section 2 of this act, it is unlawful to take migratory wildwaterfowl within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established hunting location.SECTION 2. This act does not apply to a person taking migratory wild waterfowl:(1) On property of which he is the landholder or has the landholder’s permission to hunt; or(2)Within the riparian water area of property of which he is the landholder or has thelandholder’s permission to hunt; or(3)If he comes within 500 yards of another person’s permanently established huntinglocation only after legally shooting at migratory wild waterfowl and while in activepursuit of a visible, crippled bird.SECTION 3. The definitions of Subchapter IV of Chapter 113 of the General Statutes apply ininterpreting this act. A “permanently established hunting location” is a blind, float, raft, mat orother buoyant craft or any other location, position, or device that is permanently established forhunting migratory wild waterfowl at a specific site by:(1)The landholder of the property; or(2)The riparian landholder, if the site is on or in water and hunting rights in that water arenot controlled by someone other than the riparian landholder; or(3)A person who has written permission to establish the permanent site from a landholderwho would qualify under subdivisions (1) or (2).SECTION 4. Any person who violates this act is guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. An offense ispunishable by a fine of not less than $50.00 plus court costs.SECTION 5. This act applies to the mainland area of Hyde County and does not apply toOcracoke Island.
    SECTION 6. This act is enforceable by law enforcement officers of the Wildlife ResourcesCommission, by sheriffs and deputy sheriffs, and by other peace officers with general subjectmatter jurisdiction.SECTION 7. This act is effective upon ratification.

This law is a cancer. Don't think that if you don't hunt in Hyde Co. you don't have a dog in this fight. How long before greedy landowners in your county realize they can make you pay to use public water? How long before there is no hunting left for any but the landed gentry?

WoodieSC and IrvingForbes like this.
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Wow. Thank you for posting this. Local government and law being influenced for gain by a select few. This needs to be disclosed in a few newspapers, if they are not corrupt also.

Blake C, IrvingForbes and WoodieSC like this.
  3. Steelshot Scott

Everyone here needs to contact their Senator and Representative. Don't just send a e-mail, send a old fashioned letter as well, it has more impact. Be sure to include the incestuous nature of the players involved(by name from my first post). If we don't stop it before it becomes law, it will be all but impossible to repeal.

4. Tailfeathers

Anyone contact your local or statewide papers? How about your chapters of DU, Delta, NC Waterfowlers Association ( if there is one)?

5. Tailfeathers

6. Steelshot Scott

I approached a DU executive some years ago about the so-called Safe Hunter Law. I actually spoke to this high ranking official with DU at a event. We talked for some time and he told me that DU will not get involved. They are only interested in conservation programs. He knew James Johnson, one of the biggest supporters of the SHL, and referred to him as that SOB, except he didn't abbreviate it. This official wanted to get DU involved, but they weren't going to.

I have heard through the grapevine that there are members of Delta Waterfowl that might be willing to get involved, but I don't know who they are, or how to get in contact with them.

7. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Absurdity at it's finest. Doesn't surprise me these folks have taken the lowest road and tried to enact a law that most won't understand the consequences of until it's too late. Tailfeathers glad to see you here, we'll be around later in the year. I am drafting a letter to legislation and forwarding to all of us in my area. We will do our best to spread the word. I heard about this BS late last year but wasn't aware of the intricate swindling involved. Not surprised based on what I've heard. Our circle is small for a reason, but we are in for the fight. Trying make this public as best we can.

coachcornbread and IrvingForbes like this.
  8. SeaDux1

SeaDux1 Elite Refuge Member

there are no ducks in Hyde so what does the law matter

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Split, there are no ducks in NC! :dv

10. Steelshot Scott

Everyone who is aware of this needs to draft 3 letters(you can send the same letter to all 3, just change the name you are putting on the header). Each person's Senator and Representative, and Rep John Bell(he is the head of wildlife issues on agricultural committee). Send emails and USPS. Real mail has more impact and is more likely to be seriously read. Google NC Legislature and you will be able to quickly and easily get all the contact information you need to.