The old model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by howard s., Dec 25, 2020.

1. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Their is a reason for no bulge on your model 12 barrel; a book written on the famous Winchester Model 21 that included metallurgy of Winchester steel used on the Model 21 that also includes model 70 and model 12 too.
    Winchester produced the "hardest" steel in firearm manufacturing during pre-64 production. I also shot steel in model 12's that never showed any sign of stress or bulge. I've seen many posts on other forums NOT to shoot steel in model 12's that you will ruin the barrel. That's not true, a Winchester full choke constriction would be too tight for desired patterns while I.C. & Modified chokes for suitable for steel. While I didn't throw anything larger than BB down the barrels.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

What about the nickel steel barrels?

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Mayor this Mod 12 3" has had a bunch down it's barrel up to #1's and it still brings home the Bacon/money at the games I shoot at with a .017 choke ? IMG_0245 - Copy.JPG IMG_0246 (7).JPG Even with it's 28" factory
    Barrel

Out of focus likes this.
  4. Mayor of Seneca

The model 21 was introduced around 1933/35 so after Winchester stopped nickel steel stamped model 12 barrels around 1929 or their abouts. The next barrel legends were large letters "Winchester Proof Steel" around 1933/35. The last model 97's witness in the blind was before 1991 when Steel was mandated so no experience with those models.

5. Mayor of Seneca

That wood too pretty for the Blind, nice choke @ .17 light modified. That's one heck of a high rib, never seen that style rib before?

6. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Just load them up and when birds come in just let her do the talkin' and you'll get it.
    Just be careful of the slam fires :l

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yeah my HG loads are 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz of Steel 3's and 1 1/16 oz of #1's going 1475 fps , they shoot wonderfully out of this Mod 12 and 3 Wingmasters
    3" guns I have setup for Waterfowl with different Fixed Chokes ! That rib you see on the Mod 12 is a Kings ADD ON as that Matted Rib with the Trap stock
    is just a little to high for me , Now it's just right ! The other Winchester I have modified for Steel Shot as , where I live , steel is mandatory for ALL shotshell
    hunting is a Mod 25 with a .012 constriction .

8. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Great thread . Someday I’d like to own one myself . Question for the experts , if I were to start to look for one to duck and goose hunt . And I would be able to shoot modern shells what would be the ideal model and year range for what I’m looking for ? Would it be the 3” heavy duck or standard model 12 or ? Thanks

Dave in AZ likes this.
  9. Mayor of Seneca

You can go 2 ways; # 1 model 12 2 3/4" with plain barrel or solid rib with 28" modified choke, these were the most produced field models other than 30" full chokes. The raised solid rib gives you a nice sighting plain too but Solid Ribs do not show up as often as plain barrel model 12's. I would narrow the search from 1.4 million to 1.8 million (1954-1959) production years.

# 2 -If you would like the 3" Heavy Duck model 12, same thoughts as above on the 2 models with plain or solid rib. Just an FYI, the 3" HD can troublesome with 3" shells upon ejection so ammo they tend to hang up @ the mouth of the case on the front edge of the ejection port. When the 3" HD produced they were using paper shells so forgiving upon ejection. I normally used 2 3/4" heavy shot charge/high velocity loads. Some times loaded the 2 3/4 " in the first 2 shots then the 3" for the last in case it hung up. If you load the 3" first and it hangs up then you have "short shucked" the action and have to clear the hull so now you have a single shot. What's so great about the 3" HD model 12 the barrel diameter/thickness is like double of the standard field 2 3/4" as Winchester added the weight to dampen recoil of 3" lead loads of the era so very front heavy. As I always said the model 12 3" HD is the best 2 3/4" Duck Gun designed to shoot 3" shells. Another feature of the Model 12 3" HD is the stock is 13 3/4" length so ideal when shooting with heavy clothing. So 99% of model 12's 3" HD were full chokes, along the way some guys have added choke tubes or had the choke reduced to improved modified or modified. The model 12 HD had a tight full choke so it would be suggested to have the choke reduced to Imp Mod or Mod for better patterning if you go with the 3" model 12.

My 2 cents, look for a 2 3/4" solid rib modified choke model 12, best all around choice, can be used for field bird hunting too and don't have to do any choke work. If you find a model 12 you desire feel free to seek advise here .........

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  10. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Great reply mayor I appreciate the advice :tu