The original Ron Latshaw Eliminator blind question

randy merta

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of the original Eliminator blinds. Sadly they have been stored away in my shop attic for several years without use.
Well today my buddy and I found some geese using a cut cornfield nearby. We secured permission and started dragging out our old gear.
I had the Elimators flattened out stacked on top of each other. Upon inspection everything looked good. When I went to push the top poles out to lock only one side would. The other side would not. I tried the other blind and neither side would lock out.
My thoughts are the blinds have kinda shrunk during storage. Just to make sure I unscrewed the screws on the ends and pulled the rods out and they all locked out with the detent.
So this leads me to you guys.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get these blinds to grow a little. I don’t think it will take much.
If I had time and it wasn’t freezing cold outside I would soak them really well with the garden hose and then pop the blinds open and let them dry out from there.
Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Me thinks that only cotton/canvas material would expand when getting soaked and then stretched and dried.

randy merta

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We are supposed to get rain for the next few days. I’m going to place the blinds out to get a good dowsing.

Backwards bleed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Make sure the end of the blind frame is where it is suppose to be along the seam between the bottom where the camo meets the green or black color floor. I remember those little buttons being hard to pop into the holes on the top rails if the blind wasn't laid out just right. I actually preferred those blinds to any other if we were going to dig in up to the top of the lids. They don't collapse around the edges.

Backwards bleed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Also if your model has the velcro that goes around the head support frame.. make sure the velcro is detached from the frame while you are sliding the top rails into position. Then velcro the head support after the buttons have popped up into place on the top rails.

bustsducks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Those blinds were a game changer for us when they came out. Here's a pic from the 90's, our first hunt using the Eliminators

That Cordura fabric shrinks over the years. When its warmer in the off season. I would cut a 1/2" or 1" off the ends of the tubing and reinstall the plastic ends. Headrest bar, kneebar, floor support bar and the telescoping bar. That will give you the wiggle room to set it up easily again. Also make support bar out out PVC for vertical support between the floor bar and the telescoping bar. Use PVC tee's on the floor bar and Telescoping bar and a short section of PCV to connect the tee's. This will keep you from bending the telescoping bar when climbing out of the blind. I bent mine and had to come up with this fix.

A lot of good memories in that blind!
20200204_122059.jpg