Reaction score

Widely accepted sighting...
:l:l

I’m not buying in.

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Better Louisiana than Arkansas.

Although I will say this...I know a professional carver who was commissioned to carve a female Ivorybill decoy for a group wanting to go somewhere down south here and see if they could use it to get other ivorybills to show themselves...

If there are only three or four left, then they are as good as extinct, and I am sorry for that. Part of me hopes that they are still around, even though I KNOW what would happen to the areas that are most likely WMA's or NWR's. They will be sealed off, shut down, and closed to the public, creating more animosity than understanding.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m not buying in.
Me either.
The regular woodpeckers make really bizarre noises in the pre-dawn woods.
Someone mistakenly identified this critter.
First time I had a pair of regular northeast Arkansas woodpeckers near me making noises I thought "maybe I'm seeing one" and it wasn't.
There aint any at Big Lake. They're lyin

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Better Louisiana than Arkansas.

Although I will say this...I know a professional carver who was commissioned to carve a female Ivorybill decoy for a group wanting to go somewhere down south here and see if they could use it to get other ivorybills to show themselves...

If there are only three or four left, then they are as good as extinct, and I am sorry for that. Part of me hopes that they are still around, even though I KNOW what would happen to the areas that are most likely WMA's or NWR's. They will be sealed off, shut down, and closed to the public, creating more animosity than understanding.

I’m not so sure. In talking to some top ornithologist about having had such concerns when one was supposedly sighted on the Cache, all said they’d be adamantly opposed to shutting it down. If one was found in a public hunting area, it meant that area was safer for them than anywhere else, so leave it be.

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure. In talking to some top ornithologist about having had such concerns when one was supposedly sighted on the Cache, all said they’d be adamantly opposed to shutting it down. If one was found in a public hunting area, it meant that area was safer for them than anywhere else, so leave it be.

I get that, and they apparently understand. But you and I know that decisions like that don't always get driven by science...one legislator who wants to grandstand and take this as their flagship for the green movement, and we will be told to "follow the science".

It happened at the Cache, if I remember correctly...it wasn't shut down, but limited to a certain number of parties, even though the areas were nowhere near where the Bird was sighted. From third-party hearsay, a lot of that was due to the refuge manager who didn't want any hunters anywhere on the Refuge anyway and it gave him an excuse.

I'm going to remain skeptical, but I would like to see the evidence. I can take you to places right now on the Cache that look like textbook Ivorybill cavities, but I don't think there's anything there...

MALLARD MAGICIAN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
““No one has held a camera and got a picture of one in years because it’s a scarce bird in tough swampy habitat and they don’t want people close to them because they’ve been shot at for 150 years,” Hill said, as reported by The Guardian.”

“was declared extinct after not having had a “widely accepted sighting” since 1944, The Guardian reported.”

One hasn’t been widely acceptable seen in nearly 75 years because they are so shy from being shot at for 150 years?

I gotta think IF they adapted to be that elusive in 150 years, they would have adapted enough to have a noticeable population and maybe adapted to be 1/2 as elusive as they were since it been 75 years since anyone hunted them? Can’t hunt what you don’t see.

Another case of seeing what you want, not what is.
They GONE

MALLARD MAGICIAN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Point taken…
Maybe too damn old to fork, but still good at hiding.