The Peckerwood Is Back!

booger

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back during the original sighting, there were a lot of Subaru's with kayak's on top running around. As best as I could tell, they didn't launch until after sunrise.
mqIIizal.jpg

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We have a large species of Woodpecker in northern California. They are Pileated Woodpeckers and bear some resemblance to the Ivory Bills. They are not common. A limiting factor for them is each pair of them requires a very large number of acres of older, large tree habitat. I live in a Redwood forest and each year a couple of them land in our Myrtle bushes and eat the seeds that look like pepper corns. They make quite a racket with their calls. The sound of their bills hitting trees carries a long way.
Except for likely extinct Ivory Bills, the Pileated is North America's largest Woodpecker.
Neat birds.

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We have a large species of Woodpecker in northern California. They are Pileated Woodpeckers and bear some resemblance to the Ivory Bills. They are not common. A limiting factor for them is each pair of them requires a very large number of acres of older, large tree habitat. I live in a Redwood forest and each year a couple of them land in our Myrtle bushes and eat the seeds that look like pepper corns. They make quite a racket with their calls. The sound of their bills hitting trees carries a long way.
Except for likely extinct Ivory Bills, the Pileated is North America's largest Woodpecker.
Neat birds.

They’re fairly common throughout much of the south and lower Midwest

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much noise the Ivory Bills make, but you know when Pileateds are around by their raucous calls.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score