The perfect grouse/rabbit gun?

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The perfect gun and gauge is the one that you have. The Model 12 is a well earned American classic. Take her to the field and just enjoy the great days ahead. Be happy.
My wife inherited her Grandpa's Model 12 . He hand made the stock and forearm out of excellent grade walnut. He was a furniture carpenter. Had a beautiful Blueing job done on her too. . It has a Cutts Compensator adjustable choke, very popular in the day. I wouldn't change a thing on this gun, just be thrilled to carry and shoot a great gun that was Pop Pop's.....just the way he liked it!

Rogue Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
16ga, 26in bbl, Cyc choke...yeah, that gun was ordered as a grouse gun, for sure.

7 1/2 for grouse, 5's or 6's for rabbits. Hunting both at the same time? What would be the main event and what would be your target of opportunity? 5/6's would work for grouse later in the season.

Fowl Intent

Refuge Member
Reaction score
7 1/2 for grouse, 5's or 6's for rabbits. Hunting both at the same time? What would be the main event and what would be your target of opportunity? 5/6's would work for grouse later in the season.
I think it will be primarily rabbits with the potential for grouse mixed in. Duck season goes till the end of November and the start of the second half of grouse season starts December 1st. Rabbit season doesn't split. So I'll probably hunt ducks first and then when that season closes there should be snow on the ground and most of the leaves will be gone. Should be the most productive time to hunt either rabbits or grouse me thinks. No dog so I'll be brush stomping either way.

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've not hunted grouse but always wanted to and I haven't been bunny stompin' since I was a teenager. What I did hunt was quail and woodcock with a pretty good dog. I wanted what I thought would be the ultimate upland gun and purchased a new Citori 20 ga. (1976) and had the chokes reamed to cyc/imp cyc. It was a very good tool for the habitat where I found quail and woodcock. It has done well on the skeet field as well. Quail populations plummeted and my old dog passed on so the quail getter has sat in the gun safe for 40 years.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back when I hunted grouse in North East iowa we'd shoot a lot of rabbits also . My gun was a 1100 , 12 ga though. The barrel was a 28 modified that I had the choke cut out of . 25 inch barrel at true cylinder and 1and 1/8 low brass reloads of 7 and 1/2s .
It was deadly on both .
You should be in great shape.
Have fun. I'd love to hear a grouse flush again .

Gene

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a winchester model 12 in 16 gauge with a factory stamped cylinder choke 26 inch barrel.
Never done a lot of rabbit or grouse hunting although I am lead to believe that I live in a great area for both. I'm interested in getting into it because deer hunting has lost its alure to me.
Anyway, I'm thinkin this old girl and a 1 ounce load of lead #6s should be the business. They say that the model 12 is arguably the best repeating shotgun ever made and the 16 gauge is arguably the best lead shell ever made. I think i have found the perfect upland gun for the big Northern Michigan woods that i call home. Where are you guys at and what do you guys use?

View attachment 344369 View attachment 344370
As I got older, 74 now, my guns all started to get heavier? I live in the foothills of Calif outside of Yosemite. I hunted Quail 3 days a week and waterfowl three days a week plus Pheasants in my spare time. I started using the Winchester model 42 in 410 3 inch #6 for upland birds. It worked great but for Quail, we shoot through a lot of brush, I wanted something bigger. I picked up a model 12 16ga. with a mod choke. It was short-chambered so I hand loaded and used a rolled crimp. I also made a nice stock and forend with figured walnut an English stock. I hollowed out the wood. It got even lighter for me. The 16 ga. M-12 was the lightest of the gauges, even lighter than the 28 ga guns. I tramped the hills with that gun for years until I could no longer hunt anymore. I just gave my 42 and 16 to my grandsons. They will never be used again! The 16 gauge was my meat processing plant!!

Latest posts