The political class

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Aunt Betty, Apr 2, 2021.

1. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Term limits? I wish.

BigSkyDuk likes this.
  2. JBM SteelSlinger

JBM SteelSlinger Senior Refuge Member

I don't think term limits are the answer ,voters now have the power to limit a politicians stay.Just like constant turnover at a company is bad .Would you want a Newby writing legislation that's as thick as a Sears catalog and that affects me I'd rather have someone with yrs of experience.

3. pintail2222

Newbies don’t write serious legislation - let alone legislation that's as thick as a Sears catalog. Political Committees and lobbyists write legislation that's as thick as a Sears catalog. Politicians pass it without even reading it. Their #1 job is fundraising. Fundraising for themselves to get re-elected and fundraising for the party. The more they raise - the better the committees they get put on.

4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Except voters don’t do it very often. Inertia is a powerful thing, people would rather stick with the devil they know, and the longer your representative is in office the more pork he can shovel your way. It’s perverse incentives combined with the natural allure of staying in power and this is what we get.

Not that I think term limits are a cure all, or that they don’t come with some of their own problems—I agree with those positions. I just think we’ve reached the tipping point where on balance term limits would be an improvement in the quality of our representation. For one thing, if you get elected and know the clock is ticking you’ll be motivated to get done what you came to do. For another, the term limited folks would have less reason to spend time and effort fundraising. But most importantly it would maybe get us closer to a citizen led government instead of fossils who get to Congress, enjoy the paycheck and parties, and never leave. If bills were written by people who knew they would have to return to normal life and abide those laws, maybe they wouldn’t end up being phone book thick.

newduk and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  5. JBM SteelSlinger

JBM SteelSlinger Senior Refuge Member

With term limits they also know how much time they have to cash in on all the perks .Vote them out

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I don’t see them as a a “class”, I see them as religion. A religion that tolerates no dissent, a Spanish Inquisition with technology. The Democrats are Fundamentalist Sunnis and the Republicans as the Shia. Bipartisan is when they can hate the Infidels, but it’s scorched earth when they are fighting each other.

Ruination likes this.
  7. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure Biden made all his money from books and speaking after he left office.

IJS.

Term limits... yesterday.

8. pintail2222

LOL - Joe hasn't realized a gain out of Biden Inc. yet. And I don't think he'll live long enough to really enjoy any of it. When he leaves office and realizes the ill gotten gains - maybe Jill will splurge and get him golden diapers and a golden bib. :l

9. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

You’re probably right, but the guy left office for all of four years! This game is faaaaar too lucrative for any honest person.

10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Why did Biden run for the presidency in the first place? Was it out of a sense of patriotic duty? Or was he recruited because he is a useful tool?

OneShotBandit and hunting1 like this.