Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

The Way We Were

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by JP, Dec 1, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Some local friends here go up every year to hunt pheasants. They do the whole lodge/outfitter deal. At a dinner party the other night they invited me to join them next year. Between travel, outfitter and incidentals, each person expects to spend about $2800 on a three day hunt with a full day of driving on each side. Now that's an expensive pheasant hunt. Other friends do it on their own for a fraction of that. Doubt I'll ever do either, but I definitely wouldn't do the more expensive hunt unless I won the lottery...and I've never bought a ticket.

Josh carpenter likes this.
  2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps, once waterfowl umbers plummet and seasons and bag limits follow suite, the pilgrims will move on to other venues and the leasing craze will implode as well. With the economic forces in play focused upon keeping the seasons and limits up, whether warranted or not, it will take a serious scientific recognition of the factual numbers to move the needle.

3. bill cooksey

To be fair, there have been no numbers for them to work with for two years due to Canada not allowing USFWS in.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

With pheasants and especially in SD, the wildlife department will seed birds into the fields during the lean batch years. The economic impact to that state drives such an effort. Ever shot a “wild” bird that had the indentation in its beak?

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Bill, everyone realizes that and should they be able to do the count this coming spring, I suspect the Day of Judgement will be at hand.

6. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Instagram and YouTube are bigger threats than guiding imo. All about piles/likes/views at the cost of everything else. Created the pool of people willing shell out coin to sit with 10-20 others in a field with a guide for that pile picture.

JP likes this.
  7. bill cooksey

Yes on the breaks of planted birds.

On the counts, if there's not a lot of new moisture on the prairie, my bet is we'll go moderate in 23/24. If it's bad enough they could change to moderate for 22/23, but that would be difficult. Right now they are working from computer modeling of potholes, and many believe the modeling is wrong.

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

There is only one solution to consistent productive hunting ground and that is to own it. I (we) have always owned hunting ground from my grandfather on down and have managed it for what the intended purpose is.

DelFowl18, Ruination and Timber Hole like this.
  9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've leased fairly primo fields in arkansas.
    It ain't cheap and if you lock into something really good almost immediately there are guys pestering you and the landlord both about them gaining use.
    Then your lease is up and you either get asked to renew or not. Meanwhile behind the curtain you just got outbid by double what you paid before.
    One lease went from $4k to $10k in one season.

10. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Wait until word gets out,DU or Delta does a couple articles on the untapped rich resources and the millions of dollars of money to be made from it,and the trucks with outfitter decals on their doors will come a calling.
    Start greasing them landowners hands with 4" stack of hundred dollar bills ,and commandeering the public out of the public areas spots.
    Enjoy it while you got it.