Things that make you go Hmmm.

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Woodduck31, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

When I was in elementary school back in the 60's we actually started a class in spanish language in 4th grade, pretty forward thinking I suppose back then. I remember when they were translating our given names into their spanish counterpart. My given name is Donald, which I rarely heard from my dad, nor did I hear Don. Usually when my dad was trying to say my name it would end up being something like Dav-mer-lee- as he ran through most of the family names hoping to come up with my given name. I ended up being called, "Jake" for most of my life.

In fourth grade the teacher told me my name in spanish was "Donaldo". Even at that age I took exception. After all, the pronunciation of my name is "Don". I wouldn't hear the word, "Donaldo" and answer to it, that's not how you pronounce my name, -----it's not my name. Spelling is pretty immaterial to a name, it's how it sounds. Our new dog's name is "Zip" he doesn't answer to anything else or even any variation of the word. You can say "Zipper" all you want and he will look at you like "what are you talking about".

It makes me think about what Jesus heard when someone was calling his name during his lifetime. There is so much in the Bible that speaks of the Power in His name, how will we address him when we get to heaven. Jesus is not what he heard when his parents called for him in his Aramaic language, it would have been "Yeshua". To me it doesn't make a lot of sense that there are changes in how the name is pronounced, after all, I wouldn't go to Mexico or Walmart for that matter and answer to the name "Donaldo".

Lots of words in the Bible were not translated and many words word transliterated into a form of the word. While Jesus parents would have called to him "Yeshua", the greeks began to call the name of "Yesous". I would imagine Joseph called him, "jam-john-jo...." just like my dad would have to me as he searched for the name.

I have a roommate from College who spent a lot of his career with Pioneer Bible Translators. Their primary goal was to translate the Bible into all the languages of the world. Interestingly enough, 16th century english isn't part of the process of translating Bibles into other Languages. Manuscripts much farther back in history than even the English Language, guide the translators.

I grew up with a King James Bible, people treated it like a special spiritual version. When you tried to seem more spiritual in your public prayers you used the thee's and thou's, it just sounded more religious. I became a Christian at 12 and was using a King James Bible. To be honest, that KJV Bible was not in a language that was easy to understand. Lots of words just don't mean the same thing today that they did in King James time and the flowery thee's and thou's tend to make it sound churchy or "spiritual", but also tends to put the common man at a disadvantage and would need to rely on "religious" leader to tell you their version of what it "really" means. I spent a lot of time in college studying greek and evidences for our early first century church and have come to the conclusion that the big hiccup in Biblical understanding came when the clergy decided the Bible wasn't for the common man and had to be understood in terms the clergy decided were important. Kind of a dangerous predicament if your clergy is trying to push their own agenda.

I don't speak or read or understand 16th century english very well and I don't really see any need to try to decipher what those versions are really saying when we have Bibles translated into the language of the contemporary common man. We can work out our faith before God if we honestly seek His Will in His Word. I don't know how I will pronounce Jesus name when I appear before his throne, maybe it's not critical. I do know that the Bible was not given to us in a form that someone else has to reveal it's truth or their version of it. It's just a lot to think about, things that make you go Hmmm.

Pastor, drahthaarducker and widgeon like this.
  2. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

I believe 100% he knows what we are tryng to say and knows our every thought and intention

salthunter likes this.
  3. Woodduck31

I agree that God knows our every thought and intention, that could be a comfort for some and and a concern for others.

My wife and I have traveled a lot over our lifetime and have attended many different churches. Some very Christ centered, some not so much. We went to one "baptist" church in Idaho twice on the invitation of my oldest son's girlfriend at the time. They did not allow any version of the Bible other than the King James Version, they taught any other version was considered unauthorized.

Another church we attended for many years ended up hiring a young preacher who was I guess you would say, more progressive. He and the board actually, in writing, told the congregation that we would refrain from the singing of Hymns. Kind of seems like a weird request that it be so important to the preacher to make such a "command".

In light of what our culture is going through currently, it makes a little more sense. We allow others to tell us what the "truth" is about a variety of things and rather than researching a topic for ourselves, we just select a side and blindly follow. Corruption has always been rampant in politics, you just don't know who to trust.

After a few years of Greek in college I was continually asked back in my home church, "what does this word mean" as if I had some special knowledge. I really knew enough greek just to be dangerous. The King James Version was one of the first versions available to literate people, it opened the word to a lot of people who had never had access before to the Word of God in written form. The Latin versions before were virtually only available to scribes and church leaders and not the common man.

My wife and I were watching a movie last night about the life and conversion of Saul/Paul. One thing I don't think people realize was just how much the religious leaders of that time controlled the scriptural information. Think about it this way, assume we have no access to the scriptures and for the most part all us common guys can't read. Where do we get our information? The religious leaders of our day either honest or corrupt. No wonder many didn't recognize the messiah when he came. The religious leaders of that time were going to lose all their power and position they had if people started to hear the message of Jesus. His message wasn't bad unless you were corrupt, His message of forgiveness, hope, love, faith weren't bad things, so why was He killed, (of course other than God's plan). I would suspect the religious leaders of the day knew that the prophecies confirmed Jesus, but were so corrupt that they refused to hear the truth or to teach the truth. Kind of seems crazy to think that you've waited thousands of years for the messiah and miss Him when He shows up. Things that make you go Hmmm.

Take responsibility for your own faith, don't leave it up to your preacher or pastor, they may be right, they may be misled, they may even be corrupt or enslaved to money and power.

Josh carpenter and Pastor like this.
  4. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

He has a name, and since it's the one name whereby we must be saved; it should never have been translated into anything else. It's disgusting, when you really think about it.

5. Woodduck31

Things that make you go Hmmm. My mom's side of the family is cherokee, we would hear stories from my mom about her dad and grandparents on occasion and most were pretty rough to listen to. Alcoholism was pretty bad on her dad's side and she would tell us how little they had to eat and what it was like to live in poverty. When she told us those stories it wasn't in a fashion like we approach Bible study however. She didn't start with, grandpa was an alcoholic and let us discuss that point for a week, contemplate what that means and then next week we will get on to the next subject, "grandpa worked in saw mills". I think we do a disservice to our study of God's Word by not reading it as it was written, but always trying to find the "hidden" meaning in small pieces of a text. Think about this, when Paul wrote to Timothy, do you think Timothy read the first two verses and tried to decipher all the meaning there for a week or do you think Timothy read the whole letter before drawing any conclusions about what Paul was saying. We can lose the meaning by trying to find other subliminal messages that aren't there. Things that make you go Hmmm.

Pastor and sdkidaho like this.
  6. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

Amen.

“Explaining the use of parables, the Savior said:
    “… Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.”

“For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.” (Matt. 13:11, 15.)

And then speaking to those disciples who were near him and who understood, he said:
    “But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

“For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.” (Matt. 13:16–17.)

The Lord knew that those who were sincere in heart and who really wished to know the mysteries of the kingdom would seek and search prayerfully until they informed themselves.”
    -Spencer W. Kimball

Pastor likes this.
  7. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

He knew you before creation.....He certainly knows your thoughts and intentions.

8. Josh carpenter

Josh carpenter Senior Refuge Member

Amen believe thats why God gave us knowledge of reading & writing