Thinking out loud?? Decoy Question

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by canpoint, Nov 10, 2019.

1. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Wondering how may of you switched to sock or sillo's for canada goose hunting.

I switched completely for ducks and snows. But still running 9 dozen FB's for canadas. Been pondering selling the FB's.

If so what do you run? ANd quantity??

Thanks

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

We got about 10doz FB 10doz socks 10 doz silos actually 18 doz silos. Depends in the day and conditions that were hunting for what we run. Socks and silos been nice for this wet fall.

3. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Top, mania.

If the lightweight big spreads (silos/socks) were an equity we'd be somewhere between "greed" and "new paradigm".

Every diptard has 10dz skinnies now.

I'm getting close to capitulating

48558512-15167626365862508_origin.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Jagwall and woodiefanatic like this.
  4. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Senior Refuge Member

And yet most of the diptards can’t set a spread to save their asses.

5. JEYESLAYER

JEYESLAYER Elite Refuge Member

Sold all my full bodies and bought 5 doz. whiterocks...can't ever drive into the fields anyways

6. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

After using 18 dozen of the RG B&W's this fall (sometimes accompanied with some fullbodies and other times using only them), I would have zero issues switching to an all silo spread. Setup and take down time is easily halved, if not more. No need to pull the trailer everywhere you go. That said, I own a trailer full of fullbodies and dont ever see getting rid of all of them. Ground was nearly frozen this last weekend up here and even though we could still get the chincy, cheap *** stakes that they came with into the ground, it defenitely took more time then usual. I understand that higher end silos have better stake systems that can be drilled/punched for stakes but shells and fullbodies with ring bases do still have a place IMO. FWIW, I dont see buying anymore fullbodies but I will defenitely be adding more silos in the future.

7. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Senior Refuge Member

How do you like that stake system on the RG? To me, it looked incredibly over engineered, and honestly stupid. The decoys themselves looked fine, but those stakes looked painful to use.

8. WICheez

WICheez Refuge Member

Started out with a dozen shells and a pair of BigFoots. Went to 6 dozen FB. Realized I was getting into stupid territory when I was looking at enclosed trailers considering that I hunt solo.

Bought RGII decoys. 20 dozen and a dozen WR just for kicks. Almost exclusively hunt with whatever fits in two decoy bags. 6 dozen maybe. I think I’ve used 3 decoy bags worth a couple times. Made absolutely no difference. They still tried landing on the blind doors in either case.

Frozen ground = 1/2” masonry bit and drill. Fits an RG stake perfectly.

RG stakes are easier to use in the frozen ground scenario than WR in my limited experience.

Attached Files:

9. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

What kind of fullbodies you got always looking for more bigfoots

10. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Honestly, they suck. The material is just too damn small to be of any real use once the ground gets hard. This last weekend we had to grab about an inch from the bottom, break the initial top layer of ground by an inch or so and then they went in okay...but it increased setup time almost to the point of fullbodies. Couple that with the fact we spent a couple hours painting them when we got them (dipped in black paint to try and prevent rust from wet stakes to any decoy it touches, that **** peeling off pretty much immediately while putting them into the new decoys) and if it weren't for the actual bird decoying results, I would have sold off my portion before even using them. I'm curious how much thicker the new stakes are. Black powdercoat is a plus. Only downside I see to heavier material is obviously the overall weight it will add. Right now, we can get 18 dozen in a Roger's 12 slot goose bag that has all but 2 separator flaps cut out. They're heavy in there and a bit awkward but only needing one bag for 200+ decoys is pretty damn good.