North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Third Split

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Clark, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

Hunting hasn't gotten much better, ducks haven't been here consistently at all. It is the worst season I can remember.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Might not been the worst but its close.

3. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

We're a little below avg on numbers so far an most o what we've killed(of all species) have been small to medium size and not carryin much fat when cleaned.

4. Tomstoswans486

Tomstoswans486 Refuge Member

I've been having ringneck withdrawals. I know it's funny, but the last decade I have enjoyed and really look forward to shooting ringnecks (especially the 3rd split). I finally got on a group Wednesday that came in. That being said, hunted today - saw normal suspects, wood ducks a few mallards and blacks and good number of geese. None wanted to work.

After this snow/ice storm, if we don't get a push of new birds. Put a fork in it...it's done.

NCBADGES likes this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I can understand the overall sentiment about being bad, however it can be very localized for a lot of hunters. That said, we have had a very good year. Just been very fortunate to have ducks in our general area that’s allowed us the opportunities we’ve had. Shot 10 this am including a beautiful blue winged teal that will end up on the wall. I anticipate a good Monday or Tuesday hunt after this massive system comes through early tomorrow morning.

6. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

20220108_091427.jpg

It's tough when this was a great day.

IrvingForbes likes this.
  7. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

Have had a relatively good season overall. Biggest issues for us this year has been relatively few mallards as compared to other seasons past and most all birds being very skittish. Even a single seems to want to circle a few times before it commits.

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Hey you got three, that's a banner hunt in my areas. Our problem is that we kill most of what we see and that's not good When you see less than four or five ducks all morning.

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Have not duck hunted at all so y'all are all having great years in my book. Hope y'all burn em up the next couple weeks. Keep the pictures coming.

ReelHunter likes this.
  10. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Blacks and mallards have not shown up at our place in the numbers we normally see. Hopefully this cold shot we are getting this week will persist and we get some late migrators but not holding my breath