This is NOT About Shooting a Deer!

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by road kill, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I love venison, hate hunting for it but thoroughly enjoy deer camp itself. I think for myself, it’s just seeing a bunch of guys bust loose for a few days. I have almost zero responsibilities and pretty much do whatever I want when I want. Watching guys who don’t have the freedom I do, is pretty damn funny to me.

I will say the one thing about the utter lack of interest in traditional deer hunting and hunting in general by the younger generations, is that is coupled with a complete disinterest in guns and gun ownership.

2. road kill

road kill Senior Refuge Member

Which I believe is by design.

Banded1 likes this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

I haven't shot a deer for probably 12-15 years. Love venison ( eating it tonight.. brother still hunts donkeys and I buy half every year) but have no desire to shoot one. Sure as chit miss the camp though. Good freaking times.

take'm, woodiefanatic and Banded1 like this.
  4. CJW

CJW Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if there is a disinterest in gun ownership. Maybe more of a lack of introduction to it when young. I think most kids have an interest in firearms. It didn't matter when I was a kid. Kids my age were very interested in archery hunting. More so than gun deer hunting. We could get out more and avoid the orange army if we wanted.

5. CJW

CJW Senior Refuge Member

Certain factions definitely prefer it. I know I've been thinking more about mentoring a kid and different programs to introduce kids to archery, firearms and hunting.

road kill likes this.
  6. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

He’s screwed, majority of his deer will move, that’s what happens when the predators move in. And it can take many yrs for the deer to move back in. Of course how many yrs is variable. Where I hunt, we still aren’t there, been 8yrs

7. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

They weren’t reintroduced, fact

8. Bclick

Bclick Senior Refuge Member

They were reintroduced to many areas by the DNR. Many trouble animals have been moved by them.

2.7 million dollars so far paid to farmers and sportsmen, glad the DNRs coffers are so flush with cash. Its probably 10x that in lost license revenue as people gave up deer hunting as the areas they hunted with family for decades was laid bare by packs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0EmgVXCebL9_dFgqgoYjb-

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  9. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize how many hounds were taken by wolves.

Bclick likes this.
  10. CJW

CJW Senior Refuge Member

I would love to run hounds, even almost bought a redbone a couple years ago, but I couldn't stand having that much risk everytime I turned them loose.